News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering box on 72 Calais

Started by Michael Thomas, April 16, 2007, 02:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Thomas

Hi.  I have a 72 Calais sedan with 35,000 original miles on it.  I bought it in March and had it serviced and aligned.  The alignment is fine, the car tracks straight, but theres still a lot of play in the steering wheel.  I have a 68 Fleetwood with only 83,000 miles on it, and the steering is much tighter.  Ive been told that the steering box is worn (although I dont know how it could be with only 35,000 miles on the clock).  Are these repairable/rebuildable?  If so, what does it cost?

Thanks.

Michael

TJ H 20664

That does seem strange that it would be worn, even if that was 132,000 miles.  I have had many 70s-90s high mileage GMs with that style (non rack) steering and the only reason I even replaced one box was it was leaking real bad.  That was on my 93 roadmaster with 230,000 miles. It still felt tight but the seal was shot so I suppose something must have been loose.  I got a rebuilt one from a parts store.

The 77 shop manual (my 73 is around here somewhere but I assume they were the same) says:

Excessive wheel kickback or loose steering
-Air in system , check fluid and connections operate to bleed
-Steering box loose on frame, tighten
-Steering linkage worn, replace worn parts
-Steering shaft flexible coupler loose, inspect tighten or replace
-Front wheel bearings loose or worn, adjust or replace
-Worn poppet valve (gear), replace
-Loose thrust bearing preload adjustment, adjust to specs with gear out of car.
-Excessive "over center" lash, adjust to specs with gear out of car.

I have never heard of a poppet valve appears to be a little thing you get to by removing the hose that is on the oppsite of the mounting side, I cant tell in the picture if thats the in or out hose.  It must be some sort of check valve. They show using a bolt to remove the hose connector.

Since it appears that fluid issues could give you that loose feel I would get a turkey baister and suck as much of the fluid out of the resivor as you can and then refill it with fresh fluid.  I just found my 73 book and it is the same as the 77.  They both require GM power steering fluid #1050017.  I have been using ATF in my 73 and the only issue I have is the pump is a bit noisy.  Maybe get some of the GM stuff or do some research and find some that meet that spec and give it a try, I suspect even the GM fluid is a lot cheaper than a new steering box.  Maybe from all the sitting this car has done some fresh fluid will loosen things up and get it working right.

The steering box appears to be the same as far as function in all the GM cars so if you can find any GM shop manual from the 70s or RWD car from the 80s or any of the trucks you should get the info you need to check this thing.   Have someone sit in the car and rotate the steering wheel back and fourth while you watch under the hood and underneath to see where the play is coming from. That should narrow down where the problem is coming from.

Good Luck!  Keep us posted

TJ H
StPaul/Mpls MN USA
73 Eldo convert(s)
75 Eldo
78 CDV

Michael Thomas

Hi TJ.  Thanks for the very useful info.  Ive never had a problem like this before either and was at a loss to know what to do.

I appreciate all the time you took to research this for me.

Ill let you know what finally fixes the problem.

Michael Thomas

David #19063

Hello Michael,

It is my understanding that you can adjust the "slop" on the steering box, however, you do not want to overdo it so it siezes up.

Maybe someone who has done this can tell you the proper procedure.

David

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Adjusting the steering box to remove the play in the Sector Shaft is simple.

Firstly, cewntre the steering by firstly going to hard left lock, and then turning the wheel to full right lock, counting the turns as you go.   Then, divide the number of turns in half, and simply turn the steering back that number of turns.

This positions the worm and Sector in the centre of the travel.

Then, "waggle" the steering wheel, left and right to see just how much "Play", "Slack" or "Loosenessicity" there is.

If there is excessive of the above three, Place a Ring Spanner around the locking nut and with a screw driver positioned on the Sector Adjusting screw on top of the Steering Box, undo the locking nut, and screw the screw clockwise to push the Sector Shaft downwards.   This tightens it up against the Worm Nut.

Whilst doing this, constantly check the slack, at the Steering Wheel, and keep tightening till the slack is taken up.....BUT DONT OVERTIGHTEN....

Do the left and Right thing again, just to check, and cnce the adjustment is correct, then simply nip up the Lock Nut, and you are done.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the process as Bruce described it should be done with the front wheels jacked up off the floor.  Starting the car and using the power steering to do the job of turning the steering wheel is not the way to do it.

TJ H 20664

Im not where my shop manuals are at the moment but I think they said that that adjustment should only be done on the bench so I would think at the least you would want the wheels off the ground.

TJ H

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Oops, yes, the vehicle should be jacked up, but I dont think that having the engine turned off to do the "Centering procedure", but it does have to be turned off when doing the adjusting.

Leaving the engine running, will also run the risk of burning yourself on the hot Exhaust Manifold whilst "playing" with the adjustment.

I am of the opinion that the Sector Backlash adjustment can be performed whilst the steering box is still attached to the car, as it is easy to "waggle" the Steering column by manipulating the Rag Joint whilst screwing the adjustment.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike Shawgo

Hello everyone,

Would these adjustments also apply to the 70s Eldorados?

Also, someone mentioned power steering fluid--I topped off my power steering fluid in my 71 Eldo with just the regular stuff you would get in an Autozone or Pep Boys.  Is that the wrong stuff to use, and could that be the cause of my sloppy steering?

Mike

Michael Thomas

Thanks for all the help with this issue.  I really appreciate it!

Michael

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Mike,

That methof adjustment works for 99.9percent of all Steering Boxes that I know of, and for 99.9percent of all brands that use a Worm and Sector Steering Box, and the same for Power and non Power Assist Steering Boxes.

Steering Box adjustments havent changed mush over the years, and noe that most cars have the cheaper to produce and locate Rack and Pinions, the old Steering Boxes will go on forever if properly maintained.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Guidematic

These boxes can be adjusted on the car. But you will have to rasie the car. And, do it with a cold engine because the adjustor is directly under the lt exhaust manifold.

You will need to modify an allen key to access the adjustor as well. I have cut the end down so that it fits between the box and the manifold.

I have successfully adjusted many of these boxes in this fashion, and they do exhibit excessive play after some time. Like waht was mentioned, though, do not overadjust as this will make a tight spot on centre and make controlling the car and maintaining a stright line difficult.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69