News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle Engine Colors, Etc.

Started by Fred #23106, April 17, 2007, 12:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred #23106

I am doing what started as a quick paint touchup and turned into a major restoration and have the engine out. I want to be sure that I get the right colors.  My friend and fellow CLC member (Jack C in MA) also has his engine out and we are checking back and forth.  We seem to have several choices - Black, Body Color, Unpainted, Cadillac Engine Green and Brown. Here is what I have and what we think is right and what we are not sure of:

Generator and Starter:  Both are all black, including trim?
Data Plate on Firewall: Mine is unpainted and Jacks is unpainted, but we both heard that they are to be painted body color.
Horns bolted to underside of hood: Black  
Horn Brackets welded to inside of hood cross member: Body Color?
Hood Hinges (spot welded to side of hood or bracket): Body Color?
Hood spring bracket - bolts to firewall: Body color or black?
Fan Blade: Black
Round pulley/hub behind the fan blade(has 4 bolt holes) Green
Bolt color to hold fan blade in place?
Engine, bell housing and transmission: Green
Color of Head Bolts for Engine ?
Oil Dip Stick Tube: Green?
Bolt to hold Oil Dip Stick to Block: Green?
Oil Caps (upper and lower): Both Black ?
Metal housings for front engine supports: Green?
Number of bolts for above front engine supports: Mine has 4 holes in the engine supports and 4 places for holes in the block on each side, but had only 3 bolts to hold engine: 3 or 4 required and reason for 3 if that is the case?
Exhaust Manifold (3 pcs.): Black porcelain
Intake Manifold below carburetor: Green or Black?
Distributor Housing and long metal pipe support: Black or Green?
Coil: Black?  Mine is blue, but was probably an add-on.
Voltage Regulator Cover: Black.
Horn Relay Cover: Black.
Shock Absorbers, Rear: Black or Unpainted?
Shock Absorber Linkage, Rear: Black or Unpainted?
Shock Absorbers, Front: Black or Unpainted?
Outlet Water Pipes front of each engine bank: Green?
Length of Exhaust Pipe Covering? (Looks like asbestos).
Number, location and type of clamps for above?
Spark Blug Wires: Black?  (Mine were from Coopers and are black shiny).
Spark Plug Wire Connectors to each plug: Staight or right-angled? Without Rubber Boots?
Metal holders for Spark Plug Wires that attach to top of rear of each engine block: Black or Green?
Fan Belts: Black? (picture in LaSalle Companion Car shows as red)
Radiator Hoses: All Black?
Heater Hoses: All Black?
Clamps: I bought a set from McVeys for 1940 LaSalle -look original.
Position and description of top heater hose? Mine comes from top of radiator into a piece of copper tubing and runs across top of engine with a hose at each end. How to support this section? Pictures of this would be helpful.
Vacuum Lines (metal ones): Unpainted or Green?
Air Cleaner: Black
Water Pump and Water Pump Pulley: Green
All other pulleys: Green.
Steering Column: Brown entire length or  black on part that is inside engine compartment?
Steering Box: Brown, Green, Black or Unpainted?
Master Cylinder: Unpainted Cast Iron?
Brake and Clutch linkage inside engine compartment (not pedals, which are black): Black?
Fender Welt - all: Black?  Size: 1/4, 3/16 or 5/32?
Fender Welt, front fenders: One long piece from grille to rear of front fender, or separate section where hood side panels attach?
Oil Pan: Green Engine Color.

I know this is a long list, but trying to figure it out isnt easy for us, so any help will be greatly appreciated. If any of the above are incorrect, please draw it to our attention.

Thanks,  Fred Zwicker

You can see my restoration in process at http://www.fzoldcars.com TARGET=_blank>www.fzoldcars.com  At the Home Page, click on 39 LaSalle Restoration to see about 50 pictures through last week. Project is on schedule, but I will be at Carlisle later this week and need a break anyhow.

Bill Gauch #23121

I can confirm that the Outlet Water Pipes, Water Pump, and Water Pump Pulley are supposed to be green. I asked that question specifically before. Also, the manifold is black porcelain.

Other than that, there are a few things that I can say I have never seen any different before:

I believe the Horns, Fan Blade, Coil, Voltage Regulator Cover, and Air Cleaner should be black.

I belive the data plate is supposed to be body color. I cant really tell on my 38, though, because my car was a dark (almost black) gray. It is definitely not raw metal, though. Of course, it is always possible that the firewall has been painted before, but I dont think so.

Lastly, I belive the Round pulley/hub behind the fan blade, Engine, Bell Housing, Transmission, Oil Dip Stick Tube, and Oil Pan are supposed to be green.

One other thing, I can also say that my motor mounts also have 4 holes but only 3 bolts. I am keenly interested in knowing why this is the case. Also, I dont know if the 39 LaSalle horn relay is the same as my 38 Cadillac horn relay, but my cover is a black rubber that was so old it broke into pieces like it was made of hard plastic.

For what its worth, I made your post into an table to save for reference when I pull my engine at a later date. Sorry I cant give you more confirmations. Im sure someone will soon.

Fred #23106

Thanks a lot Bill.  I like your idea of putting this info into a table and after I get everything together, will set up an Excel Spreadsheet.  It will be helpful to others in the future. What about the rear shocks and links?  Mine were black when removed from the car, but my body man thought they may have been cast iron (unpainted). What about the head bolts? I have seen some that were silver in color, but feel that more than likely they were green engine color.

Fred Zwicker

Bill Gauch #23121

Dont know about the back shocks and links. I have been focusing on my front end. All the front shocks I have seen have been black, but mine are way too greasy to tell anything about original color. As for head bolts, I have seen raw steel, black and green. My heads (and bolts) were repainted. They didnt paint the block, but I assume that the heads were removed at some point and repainted.

Doug Houston

All of the chassis was slobbered with chassis black paint, which was a creodote-like gook that lasted throiugh a few rainstorms, and slowed rust long enough for the owner to buy the car.

When the car is restored, if you can prime all chassis parts, and do them in Black Imron, or some similar durable enamel, the job will be infinitely better than the production finish. Also, depending on the supplier of the chassis black paint, some jobs were glossy, and some were sort of dull. For the purpose of cleaning, my own preference is glossy. Some authorities will tell you that a chassis is not to be glossy. Have him go down an assembly line some time, and then have him tell you what he saw.