News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

cracked cylinder heads 1954 331 engine

Started by Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192, April 18, 2007, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192

Hi can someone help with the question I posted on 4/12/07 regarding the cracked and non matching cylinder heads on my 54 CDV.
Thanks,
Phil

Art Woody

I think I would adertise on the buy/sell of this forum and buy a matching pair of heads, 54 or 55. Considering the labor, go ahead and put your money in heads that have not been cracked, and a complete valve job with new guides and hardened seats to run on modern unleaded fuels. Do it right, and youll soon forget the money spent, do it wrong and youll be doing it all again. I believe most guys on this forum are honest, but if sellers dont know the factual conditon of the heads they are selling, go ahead and pay for cleaning & magnaflux. They might even split it with you. Good luck, Ill dig around my area to see if I can turn up anything.

Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192

Thanks Art, I think youre absolutely right. I had the work done to the heads [hardened valve seats etc.], but made the fatal mistake of not having them crack tested. The two spare heads I have are both cracked and not identical. I only need the right head as my left one has been tested OK and has had all the above macining done- I would only have to have them skimmed to match]. I am in England, but I do have ways of arranging shipping. I will place the ad later today.
Phil

Art Woody

Actually , 53 &54 heads are, I believe an identical match as far as I can tell, specification wise. The 55 would probably be o.k. but at least the spring pressure is different and it probably used a different cam, so lifter and push rod specs would have to be compared.