News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How To Remove 66 Horn Button??

Started by John Morris, April 23, 2007, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris

Does anyone know how to remove a 66 horn center, the type with telescopic wheel? Im about ready to give up and scrap a beautiful tilt-tele column. Thank you.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,

Slip a thin flat blade under the edge of the button and pry it up. It’s held on by spring tangs.

Ralph

John Morris.

I think I did that on the last 66 and it ruined the tanged ring underneath. These tanged rings are rare due to prying them off. There must be a method out there besides prying. Thank you for thr reply.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,

The button should pry off easily with a minimum of force. There a five small interference type leaf springs that deflect as you lift the button. Try rotating the button first to insure it is not rusted to the springs.

HTH,
Ralph

John Morris

Well, I destroyed the lock-unlock ring, and both mint chrome pieces. I tried first gently prying, then harder, used rags trying to protect chrome, then more force, then all my 250 lb mass to pry it off, destroying 3 pieces. Same thing happened last 66 with tilt-tele. There must be a better way. John.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday John,

The best way to work out a better way to do the task is to, with the broken pieces, investigate just how it goes together.

Then, you should be able to figure out the "trick" to pull it apart.

In past times, I have had the need to remove something, and having another one in worse condition, destroyed that one to enable a "dismantling option" to take place.   (Plus, I love pulling things to pieces to see how they work)

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bob Diederich

John, Go to page9-38 of the shop manual it shows a picture of the steering wheel and the cap. If you are breaking metal and chrome parts you have gone way too far. I have removed at least a dozen of these caps and have never damaged one. Only the soft rubber cap comes off.There are four small tabs that hold it to the yoke as the picture shows.
I hope this helps.
Good luck Bob Diederich CLC16618
P/S this information is for a 1966 model the 1965 is slightly different.