News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Offset on 74 Eldorado wheels

Started by Sonny Calhoun, April 24, 2007, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Calhoun

I just purchased a 74 Eldorado that was equipped with aftermarket chrome wire wheels.  The seller included four steel wheels with the car that I assumed were the originals.  I began the process of removing monster speaker cables, amps, fuzzy dice and depimping, when I had new tires mounted on the percieved factory wheels. I found that the front and rear hubs required different offsets when we attempted to install the steel wheels.  None of the wheels that I have, including the spares from some of my other 75 and 76 Eldos fit the rear of the car either.  I do not know if this is a factory design or if a previous owner made some sort of alteration on the car.  Does any have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks for your help!

JIM # 15000

04=24-07
SONNY,I think the person that sold you the car had extra wheels that he wanted to get rid of and decided that you wouldnt object to geting some free wheels.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

TJ H 20664

I have never heard that a 74 was differnt for any reason.  Everything I have read seems to indicate that 67-78 should bolt up.  I am told there are subtle changes but those come into play fitting hubcaps and such.   The front is the same as your other eldos?  Problem is in the rear?  What makes you think the offset if wrong?  What hits?   What size are the tires?  Maybe someone put in a rear alxe out of a 79-85?  I think they were a few inches narrower.  Does it have rear disc brakes?  I think it was at least an option if not standard on the 79-.  Were rear disc an option in 74?  75 seems more like the year, 76 for sure.  Was 74 the last year for skirts? or was 75?

Good Luck on this one.

TJ H
StPaul/Mpls MN USA

Sonny Calhoun

Thanks, I will look at all that stuff.  I am sending my kid to a junk yard in N. GA tommorow to get some measurements off a parts car they have their.