News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

55 Brake Questions

Started by skbmw, April 30, 2007, 12:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skbmw

I have a 55 Sedan DeVille and am trying to do a full brake overhaul. My first time working on brakes and I have a few questions Trying to learn as I go. 

1) The spring that is down by the star adjuster. The manual show it going below the star adjuster but when I took the spring off it went from the bottom hole to the top hole over the star adjuster. What is correct?

2) How the heck do I get the brake line off from the chassis. It was easy to get it off from the wheel but can't figure out how to get the end that connects to the metal pipe from the master cyl. 

3) I broke the metal connector off the metal hose from the master cyl. when trying to sperate it from the brake hose. Does anyone know if I can order just this hose. I called Kantor and they will only sell it in a set with all the steel lines for the car.

35-709

If you've never done a brake job before, definitely get someone who has to help you the first time.  Brakes are too critical a safety item!  It also sounds like you are trying to attempt this job without a shop manual, a particularly bad idea if this is your first time.  Reprints or originals of the shop manuals are often found on ebay, and reprints can be had from outfits like Crank'n Hope and several other places.  You can look in Hemmings for other reprinters and maybe originals.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2