News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

75 Coupe deVille engine options

Started by Brad Hemingson CLC #18437, May 01, 2007, 11:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

Was the 500 available in the coupe deville in 1975? How do you tell the difference between a 472 and a 500?

EAM

I believe all 75 devilles came through with standard 500 cu engines.  If your emissions decal is still on the panel located over the fan you should be able to see it in the upper left hand corner, otherwise it will be in your shop manual if you have one or can get to see one.  EAM

bill henry

the difference is definatly the stroke and maybe the bore also but i think just the stroke
Bill Henry

T J H 20664

The only engine for 75 was the 500 except for the seville (or didnt that come out till 76?).   The differnce between the 472 and 500's was around 1/4" of stroke and the only way to tell for sure is measure the stroke or look at the casting numbers in the crank itself because the rest of the parts and casting numbers look the same or can interchange.  68-74 cars had 472's except for the 70-74 eldos that had the 500's.  75-76 all had 500's except for seville.  77-79 Most common engine was 425 which again looked the same as the 472/500's but did have subtile changes and did have differnt casting numbers.   The 472/500 all tend to have about the same performance in stock form so even if you have a 472 swapped into the car, if it runs good enjoy it.   If you do want to dig deeper I can look up the head casting numbers that can be seen by removing the valve covers.  They are also the same between the 472 and 500 but can you can tell if they are small or large chamber heads which will give you an idea of the vintage.  This late in the game its hard to tell what could have been swapped over the years.

TJ H
StPaul/Mpls MN USA

Stampie

You can always measure the stroke using a rod down the sparkplug hole.  At least close enough to know if it is a 500 or 472.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis