News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57/58 Cadillac chapter?

Started by Davy, May 03, 2007, 03:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy

Hello,

As the fairly new owner of my first 1957 Cadillac, I've found it's pretty hard to locate fairly simple and generic mechanical parts, such as maintenance items.
57/58 Cadillacs aren't quite as popular as the mid-fifties Cadillacs around here (club meetings tend to have a turnout of at least a few '55s and several '56s), and of course there's no comparison with the '59s of which (too?) many are around.

But the story doesn't end there- try finding some specific trim parts, such as some sedan-only mouldings, or those bumper ends/exhaust tips.
One-year production runs and big styling changes in the late fifties are the main reasons for this difficulty, so I've started wondering if it would be interesting to start up a 57/58 Cadillac chapter, thus bundling our collective knowledge and maybe finding the parts that some of us need.

There aren't many '57 owners that I know of in the US, but there are several friends around the globe that own '58 Cadillacs, so perhaps they may be interested in this as well?
We need ten members at the very least to get started, so I'm seriously looking forward to responses from possibly interested parties.

Kind regards,

Davy Borghys, Belgium
(57 68 72 78 79 Cadillacs)

Johnny F #662

Hi Davy,

I really don't think there is a need to start a 57/58 chapter, if the sole purpose is only find parts and exchange information, as that can be done without having a separate chapter.   Don't misunderstand me, I am not opposed to having all the different chapters, in fact very much for them, as they give others that are "in the same boat", as a matter of speaking, the platform to exchange tips and information.

Being the owner of a '85 Eldoroado, I am in a few Internet Groups catering to owners of the infamous HT4100 engine.

GrayWhale

You can try these guys - although they laughingly look down upon us '57 owners, they are pretty good people and can assist with information and sources.

http://www.1958cadillac.com/

Hope this helps.

Bob H

Stampie

I think a chapter is a good idea.  You might find a lot more interested members by looking up 57/58 owners in the directory.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis