News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I Just Found a 41 Coupe In a Barn!! Beautiful Condition!

Started by John Morris #23947, June 06, 2007, 12:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

I just found a 41 Coupe in a barn! It has a looong trunk, and a Vee with crest on the hood, not the big winged chrome one I've seen on other 41s. The entire body, though with chicken poop, is perfectly straight with no dings or rust. Rocker moldings perfect. Dash and front seat amazingly preserved. V-8 not stuck, has Hydramatic. All outside chrome pitted. Nothing missing, extremely nice body. The guy wants $10,000. What model is this, and should I pay that much? I can't stop thinking about this car, the body style really has got my fancy. John Morris.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

baxterculver

Quote from: John Morris on June 06, 2007, 12:12:39 PM
I just found a 41 Coupe in a barn! It has a looong trunk, and a Vee with crest on the hood, not the big winged chrome one I've seen on other 41s. The entire body, though with chicken poop, is perfectly straight with no dings or rust. Rocker moldings perfect. Dash and front seat amazingly preserved. V-8 not stuck, has Hydramatic. All outside chrome pitted. Nothing missing, extremely nice body. The guy wants $10,000. What model is this, and should I pay that much? I can't stop thinking about this car, the body style really has got my fancy. John Morris.

Hard to tell from your description.  It could be the Fastback model or the more traditional 2-dr Coupe.  The Series # is found on the plate which is riveted to the firewall on the engine side of the car.  Should be a Series 61 or 62 with 4 additional #'s that designate the exact model of the car.  Either, however, are valued about in the same range.  The more important thing, in my view, is the condition of the vehicle.  Your description would probably make it a #5 according to the 2007 Collector Car Price Guide.  It reads:  "5) Restorable:  Needs complete restoration of body, chassis, and interior.  May or may not be running, but isn't weathered or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts".

A #4 car is described as "Good:  A driveable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional.  Also, a deteriorated restoration of a very poor amateur restoration.  All components may need restoration to be "excellant" but the vehicle is mostly useable "as is"."

The Price Guide value for a #5 car, as you have described, ranges from $3,100 to $3,950, depending on exactly which model it is.  It may be worth more (or less) depending on exact condition and the degree to which you want it (the lust factor).  But $10,000 for a car that needs total re-paint, probably a complete interior and all new plating, plus unknown mechanical restoration (wiring, clutch, wheel bearings, tires, engine/trans) is going to end up as a very expensive vehicle--with far more into it than it will be worth on the market.

If you love it and can't bear to let it pass by (the lust factor) at least go into it with knowledge.

Others may have a different view.
baxter culver clc#17184

35-709

I don't think the guy has any real idea what it is worth ---- just what he thinks it MIGHT be worth.  It is going to be up to you to educate him without insulting him ---- good luck with that!  Consider that the car will probably have to be completely gutted and redone (including that "amazingly preserved front seat") just to get rid of the chicken manure smell.  Good luck!  Love to see some pictures of it if you get it.   
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Ingler #7799

A 41 Cad 62 series coupe with hydramatic beautiful paint, chrome and interior as well as a proven tour car recently sold for about $37,000. At $10,000, Baxter is right in saying by the time you restored the car you would be way over what the car would be worth. Lots of pot metal on a 41 and that is very expensive to chrome. The 41 grill alone to chrome would probably be $2500 if you can get it done for that price. The price for a number 5 in the price guide is about what the car is worth.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: John Morris on June 06, 2007, 12:12:39 PM
After reading your post and thinking that the car you were looking at was not worth anywhere near $10,000.00, I checked Collector Car Trader and there's a pretty nice looking 41-6159 (four-door touring sedan) listed at $11,999.00 and it reportedly runs well and has been in storage for 35 years. I also think the car that Bill mentioned that sold for $37,000.00 is considerably overpriced in today's market.  Just recently in the Cadillac and La Salle Club's Self-Starter magazine there was a beautiful 41-60S (which is the most desirable 1941 closed body style and always sells for more than  61 and 62 series cars in similar condition) for about $26,000.00.