News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 LaSalle wiring question

Started by chic Gray, May 06, 2007, 03:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chic Gray

I am working on my 1937 LaSalle convertable andI have the body off the frame. There is a loose wire connected to the underside of the body just above and in front of the gas tank.  I alreadty have a wire going from the dash gas gauge to the gas tank sending unit, so what is the other wire for?
Could it be a ground wire for the tank? since the tank has rubber pads on top and under the bottom straps.?  Before I put the body back on the frame, I would like an answeer to my delema?  Thanks all who reply.  I really do appreciate the help I have recieved in the past from the members.  Some of you are so learned and knowledgable it is wonderful  you take the time to help us who are not.  Thanks.

Doug Houston

It's almost surely a ground fpr nthr nfuel tank. Probably best to make a new wire for when you re-mount the tank.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Chic,

The best way to check is to trace where the wire goes to at the tank/Sender, and see if it grounds out at the tank itself, via the Sender ynit, and the screws in the tank.

If it is, then it is definately the earth, or ground.   Even the '69 Cadillac earths the Fuel Tank Sender Unit back to the Chassis.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

homeonprunehill

Quote from: chic Gray on May 06, 2007, 03:08:19 PM
I am working on my 1937 LaSalle convertable andI have the body off the frame. There is a loose wire connected to the underside of the body just above and in front of the gas tank.  I alreadty have a wire going from the dash gas gauge to the gas tank sending unit, so what is the other wire for?
Could it be a ground wire for the tank? since the tank has rubber pads on top and under the bottom straps.?  Before I put the body back on the frame, I would like an answeer to my delema?  Thanks all who reply.  I really do appreciate the help I have recieved in the past from the members.  Some of you are so learned and knowledgable it is wonderful  you take the time to help us who are not.  Thanks.

05-07-07
CHIC, It could be a "Ground-Wire".  Does it have a screw terminal on the loose end?  Is it a cloth-over-rubber covered wire? Can you check the "gas-tank sending unit" to see if the wire was connected there? Another question, who removed the body? If it were not you, maybe whoever did will remenbers removing the wire,and where it goes.
Good Luck,jJIM

USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES