News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Reproduction Eldorado Batwin Air Cleaner Pods

Started by James Mundstock 23345, May 11, 2007, 01:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Mundstock 23345

I am looking for feedback to see if there is interest for '55 to '57 Eldorado owners in buying reproduction air cleaner pods that mount under the batwing. In frustration in looking for a good pair for my car, I have decided to look into tooling up and making reproduction units. The difference is mine will look original from the outside but have a paper filter element on the inside. This filter element is a very available item from NAPA so it is not a costly one-off item. No more messy oil bath that is also restrictive for engine intake. You may ask why I haven't bought another batwing assembly. My unit has a great top but my pods were rusted so bad they fell apart as soon as I picked them up. I did not want to spend another fortune for another batwing assembly. This not being an exact oilbath duplicate may go against the purist but this is why I posted this; for the feedback. I don't have a cost at this time. I am still doing a cost analysis. 

Warren Rauch

I haven't looked it up ,but I believe the pods for 55-56  have the hole to the main body in the center, whereas the 57 holes are offset.There may well be other differences. Warren

James Mundstock 23345

Thanks Warren. I knew for sure the '55 and '56 were the same but I wasn't sure about the '57. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the reply.

Andrew Straw 21467

I'm not certain that this is what you are talking about, but check out Technostalgia's repro batwing for $129.  Their website is www(dot)cool-leds(dot)com.

Andrew
CLC 21467

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Jim:

You may want to check this out on E-Bay.   Item #150124018159 

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Carl Schreiber

James -

If you've spent any time in manufacturing, you probably know that the cost of the finished product is directly proportional to the development cost.  For a one-off item, that can get pretty pricey.  The cost only goes down when bigger production numbers come into play - that way the development/tooling/material/design costs get spread over a bigger group, and those costs become lessened at each of those parameters.  I think the 'bean counters' refer to it as 'amortization'.  For example, let's say you manufacture and sell 'gizmos'.  Who are you going to give a better deal to - the customer who buys one (and you never see again), or the 'client' who purchases 50 gizmos a month?

Your idea is a REALLY good one - if I actually owned a batwing for my Eldorado, I'd want to do the same thing. 

You may want to check the following link -

www.danchuk.com/07_02_bat_wing_air_cleaner.html#1678

I'd be interested to see if any Eldorado guys out there can tell us the difference between this one and the Cadillac-issue batwing (outside the obvious, like the 'V' and the hold-downs, etc).  I think this is similar to the 56 Cadillac part; seems the 'snorkels' on the base are shorter on the 57 to accommodate the lower hood line...

Once again, I get the feeling these guys don't sell a lot of these, either - they get $1560 for them...

Carl Schreiber
CLC #23157