News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 fuel filter replacement

Started by Phil Metzger, May 18, 2007, 10:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Metzger

Having trouble with the fuel filter replacement on my 67 Deville Convertible.  Vehicle has A/C (different filter required for non-A/C equipped vehicles).

The filters I find do not have a rubber gasket included, there is only the paper element cartridge.  I noticed that some of the non-A/C filters have a rubber gasket included. Gasket is about two inches in diameter and sits on top of the glass bowl for the filter housing.

When I took mine apart, there was a rubber gasket.  I can't get the bowl to seal using this old gasket after I put in a new paper element.   I'm wondering if the gasket is not really necessary or if I need to get a new one. Possibly someone put in the filter for nonA/C and also used the rubber gasket.  The old rubber gasket is slightly undersized, doesn't cover the bowl edge completely. Not sure if this is shrinkage due to age and drying out.

If I need the gasket, which I guess I do, can I use a gasket from a filter made for a non-A/C filter?  I think that this is a common setup for the 429 motors.  Filter housing is in front of the carb/air cleaner and bowl tightens down via a thumbscrew.  

Thanks in advance,
Phil Metzger

Dennis

You definately need the gasket!

If the correct gasket didn't come with the element (a poor sign of the times), then do what most mechanics do, try something else.  Buy the other filter and see if it has a gasket that works.  If not, buy some bulk gasket material and make your own.  Just be careful that you get a good seal.  A fire extinguisher at the ready when checking your work would be advised.

Good luck,

Dennis
Signed:  Dennis DeLay

Phil Metzger

Dennis,

Used a filter gasket for a non-A/C equiped model.  The gasket was about 1/8 inch oversized, but it fit and formed a good seal.  I had filters for both A/C and nonA/C models.  Both filters were made by WIX, but WIX only includes a gasket for non-AC models.   Go figure. I'll have to hope someone starts including the gasket, or I'll have to remember to buy both filters so I can get the job done.

Thanks,
Phil

walt chomosh

Phil,
  Like you,I've been hoping someone would provide a PN for the fuel bowl gasket.Half of the filters I buy from NAPA have a gasket,and half don't!(WIX provides NAPA with the filters)I contacted WIX but didn't get anywhere with the girl I spoke to.Hopfully,someone will give us some insight!...walt..tulsa,ok

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Phil,

Napa sells the gaskets separately... 5 to a pack, Napa Balkamp #730-9510. These are better (a little larger diameter and thicker) than the ones that come with the filters.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

35-709

Quote from: 1937ls on May 23, 2007, 06:39:26 PM
Napa sells the gaskets separately... 5 to a pack, Napa Balkamp #730-9510. These are better (a little larger diameter and thicker) than the ones that come with the filters.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Now that is good to know!!  A couple of years ago I also had a hard time getting a filter bowl gasket for my '60 --- from NAPA!   They don't even know their own stuff!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

phil metzger

John,

Thanks for the tip. I picked up that gasket at local NAPA parts store.  It fit perfect, no leaks.  I wrote that parts number down in my 1967 Cadillac service manual for future reference.  Appreciate the good help on this one. 

Phil

walt #23510

Phil,
  The NAPA gasket that John provided the PN for(Balcamp#730-9510) works fine but may I ask which filter your using.The NAPA 3034 comes with a gasket.The 3039 does not! One filter routes the fuel from the inside out,the other outside in.I've used Fram CG3s(25 years plus)  but they are no longer available.Somehow when I switched to NAPA I began using the 3039.These can clog internally without viewing any debris due to the routing.In other words,the clear glass bowl doesn't do much more then contain the fuel!I'm curious what the AC PN is and which filter is actually correct!....walt..tulsa,ok

Phil Metzger

Walt,

I've been using WIX fuel filter # 33039.   This filter does not come with a gasket, while 33034 (for non-A/C equiipped cars) does come with a gasket.   The NAPA part that John identified is a perfect fit and most importantly, forms a good seal very easily. The gasket that comes with 33034 is slightly oversized for use on a filter body with A/C and I had a hard time getting a good seal with that gasket.

I've never really looked at the internal fuel routing thru the filter body when I've had it apart. But you are probably correct, I've never noticed any debris in my fuel bowl, only a small bit of very fine sediment. Most likely from my 40 year old fuel tank! Meaning, the fuel in the bowl is "post-filter".  That does seem a bit bass-ackwards to me.  Why have a glass bowl if it isn't to help you see when your fuel filter is getting dirty.

Phil