News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Michigan Dealers for 100, Alex

Started by Tom Hall 7485, May 19, 2007, 12:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hall 7485

In what part of greater Detroit was Klett Cadillac (in the 1960s and 1970s)?
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Tim Cenowa

Klett Cadillac was on the west side of Detroit.  I want to say Grand River and Seven Mile.
Tim Cenowa #17386

Tom Hall 7485

Thank you.  I'm sure you're right about the address. :)

Tim Cenowa

Don Massey is now at that location.  I think it also has a revolving showroom floor.
Tim Cenowa #17386

Tom Hall 7485

Thanks to the responses, I can see that Klett Cadillac became Dreisbach Cadillac on 7-Mile at Grand River. That would be Detroit 19 under the old postal codes.  Later, Massey Cadillac came to be at a slightly different location in NW Detroit, apparently replacing Dreisbach in that territory. 

The Cass Avenue store in Detroit was owned by GM during the 1950s and into the 1960s, then became Dalgleish Cadillac and was in Detroit 2 (48202).

Question: This unknown dealer was in postal code Detroit 4 (now probably zip 48204, roughly between Dearborn and Highland Park).  Was it Shore-Severs, who were in the Detroit area in the early 1970s?

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Quote from: Tom Hall 7485 on July 01, 2007, 08:56:45 PM
Thanks to the responses, I can see that Klett Cadillac became Dreisbach Cadillac on 7-Mile at Grand River. That would be Detroit 19 under the old postal codes.  Later, Massey Cadillac came to be at a slightly different location in NW Detroit, apparently replacing Dreisbach in that territory. 

The Cass Avenue store in Detroit was owned by GM during the 1950s and into the 1960s, then became Dalgleish Cadillac and was in Detroit 2 (48202).

Question: This unknown dealer was in postal code Detroit 4 (now probably zip 48204, roughly between Dearborn and Highland Park).  Was it Shore-Severs, who were in the Detroit area in the early 1970s?

Dalgleish is still at the site of the old Cadillac plant (preceding Clark Street).  I remember the name Klett, but don't recall the location.  Dreisbach & Sons was on Grand River and is now Massey, at the same location.  There was another Detroit dealer on the west side of Livernois for several years in the mid-seventies to probably the early eighties.  It was the only minority-owned Cadillac dealer in Detroit.  Dick Harris might have been his name.  I just don't remember, but I can still picture his face on the billboard!

Tom Hall 7485

Thanks.  The other day, a correspondent was able to give me the dealer picture in Detroit as of about 1960.  It must have been Charlie's Oldsmobile-Cadillac, Inc. that was in Detroit 4. 

The NW side of Detroit was not lacking for Cadillac dealers in the early 1960s!

The African-American dealer in Detroit I do not know, but would like to learn.  He would have come along in the 1970s or 1980s, I think.

Tim Cenowa

as Jim pointed put the Black dealer in Detroit was Harris.  I do not recall his first name.
Tim Cenowa #17386

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Harris CAdillac was at Livernois and Oakman in Detroit