News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Sedan DeVille Valuation Question

Started by Brad Bowers, May 27, 2007, 09:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Bowers

I know that this is my first post and the like, but I have been trying to find out what the value is on a Cadillac, and I have had no luck in doing so. I wanted to get the value for the storage insurance, but I have not found a reasonable value of this vehicle.

First, and I know this is going to happen, I am not just fabricating the car out of thin air, I actually have this vehicle. I have thought of selling it, but I havent found any way to assess the value so I have not persued it.

So, on to the vehicle.

I have a 1966 Blue Cadillac Sedan Deville. On the outset it doesnt seem like much, but it has just over 9300 original miles. Nope, I didnt miss a zero, it is under 10k miles on it. Before someone calls BS, here is the background. My Grandfather and Grandmother were in an accident, back in 1965-66 (dont know exact, I wasnt born yet) and my GMother broke her leg in 4 places. T-boned on the passenger side of their Cadillac (different one not this one). At the time, they didnt know much about setting the bones, or they did a crappy job of it, but the end of the ordeal was that she had a pin inserted in her leg through the knee and made it a stiff leg.

So, he got the insurance money from the accident and bought a new Cadillac to replace the wrecked one.

As my GFather was in his late 70's when this happened, you can imagine that my GMother wasnt into the driving mood much anymore. And as his eyesight was failing, my Dad picked up the maint of the car. They kept it at their home until my GFather died and she had to move into a full time nursing home. But, my Father got the car in their will. So, it was handed down to him and he always wanted to show the car, so he would keep it in top shape, and would fire it up and drive it about 10 miles a year to keep it lubricated and working well.

My father passed nearly 4 years ago now, and honestly I dont have the same inclinations for this vehicle. While I have kept it in the same condition as was given to him, and I do drive it about 10-15 miles a year to stretch her legs, I just dont have it in me to keep it. Plus, I have to get a reasonable replacement value for insurance.

The vehicle is mint, no rust, never driven in winter. Blue cloth interior. It even has the original tires on it, though I would put on a different set to ship it, they are cracking a bit, but still hold air.

The reason that I can say that is that the vehicle is stored at a facility that used to be a machine shop. A really big one at that, and the floors are the 8 by 8 inch blocks of wood, that have been soaked with oil over the years, so there is no moisture that is seeping up from concrete. Absolutely the best place to store a vintage car.

Anyway, I felt that out of anyone that would know about this car, it would be a group of people like yourselves. And that is why I ask you, what would a vehicle like this be worth?

Thanks for the help.

Brad B.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brad,

As with anything to do with pricing, it all boils down to what you are willing to value it as a selling pointer.

Now, you want to value for storage.   Okay, How much is it worth to you?   How much would it cost to replace if it was destroyed, stolen, or whatever?

In your case, this is where a Valuer, or an Appraiser comes into their own.   Especially an independent one.   The car, you have there, in your area, may possible be valued differently to one parked 5,000 miler away, and someone's treasure is another man's garbage.

But, please don't get me wrong, it is virtually impossible to give you the correct figure you are after, as there are so many variables.

Sedans aren't as valuable as a Coupe or a Convertible, and a figure between $2,000.00 and $20,000.00 could be in the ballpark, but in your case, you need to get it valued by a couple of independent people, then add your "sentimental" value, then approach the Insurance Company, and see if they are willing to take the risk.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brad Bowers

Bruce,

Thanks for the quick response, that is where I already came to grips. I figured that, for the most part, it may just be up to me to pick a number out of the air.

Is there a list or compendium of appraisers that exists? The vehicle is in Rockford, IL if that helps narrow it down some. I havent done a search yet, but if there is a list of them it would help me get there quicker.  ;D

Thanks again,

Brad

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brad,

I am sorry I can't help you there, as I live in on the botom side of the Globe.

But, I am sure that there would be a list of Independent Auto Valuers in your Yellow Pages that you should  be able to access.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Questions on car valuation appear on this site with great regularity. 
It is very difficult for anyone not having seen the car and knowing what repairs it might need and the cost of those repairs to set a price. 

Assuming an extremely nice car with only 9300 miles, one still has to consider new tires at what cost?  $600 approx. for mid-grade tires? 

Does the air conditioning work?  The A-6 AC compressors were well known for leaking freon from the nose seal, one that has seen such little use is sure to have dried out seals that will need replacement and the system recharged.  R-12 Freon is VERY expensive these days, a recharge alone (not even considering seal and possibly receiver/dryer replacement) could run $500 -$600, conversion to 134a is usually done at this point.  The Climate Control System has vacuum operated circuits and controls that use a myriad of little rubber hoses and rubber diaphragms that dry rot and deteriorate, more so it seems with little use.

The brake system should be completely gone through, the linings are probably fine but all of the wheel cylinders and the master cylinder should be rebuilt/replaced and the fluid changed.  Some engine and transmission gaskets and seals may well need replacement, and on and on.

Physically the car is no doubt lovely, mechanically it will require a fair amount of money to be spent.  Of coupes, convertibles, and sedans, sedans are the least valuable.  The NADA Price Guides ----   www.NADA.com ----   show a 1966 Cadillac 4 door Sedan deVille to have a high retail of $13,750 for the hardtop and $13,475 for the posted model, less repairs necessary.  With such low mileage, yours might be worth a little more.  You will no doubt receive offers to buy the car from members on this site.  :-)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Matt427

There was a 1968 Sedan DeVille on eBay recently with just under 5,000 original miles and it sold for $19,500. That may give you some idea of what someone would pay for your '66 SDV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unique-1968-sedan-DeVille-cadillac-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ120118712819QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6146QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Brad Bowers

Thanks for the information guys.

Geoff - The last time I tried the AC on it, it was cool, not cold, but I didnt let it run for more than 5 minutes or so I didnt want to get anything cold enough to condense water into the AC ducts, and then close it up for months Figured it wouldnt be the wise thing to do. :)  I also figured that if it got cool it was holding freon, and that was what I wanted to know. I figure it leaked out most, but not all of it, it is after all a nearly 40 year old vehicle now. :)

The brakes are still good, for what I do with it, dont know if I would trust them for a long trip, but then again, if they work for the short trip, it should work for a long one.

Matt - Thanks for the link, I had looked at ebay a while back to see if there was anything close, and looked at a few auctions as well. Didnt really find anything, but I apparently missed that one. I am going to have to go back and look a bit smarter.

Thanks again.

B