News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Upgrading lighting on my 81 Fleetwood Hearse

Started by Larry Reeves, May 30, 2007, 05:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Reeves

I'm thinking about upgrading the lighting on my 1981 Cadillac Hearse (Fleetwood based). I want to upgrade the headlights (all 4) to the brightest legal limits, as well as the marker and stop/turn bulbs. Has anyone done this kind of upgrade? Since my car is all black, I want to improve my visibility at night to other motorists as best I can  >:D

I used to have a username here, but can't remember what it was, nor the email I used to sign up...

Larry Reeves II
VP Dallas Trocars Funeral Car Club

TJ Hopland

Some of the LED stuff seems dang bright, not sure how they work through stock lenses.  At least power draw wouldnt be a problem.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best way to save all your wiring when you put in brighter units is to install Relays to act as the switching devices.

This way, your headlight switch is only switching the Relay, and the full power is going from the Battery, directly to the lights, via the Relay.

I have Aircraft Landing Lights in the High Beams and 100 watt high/Lows in the Outers on my '60 CDV

On my '70 Ranchero Squire, I have 100 Watt QI lights, and the Relays really protect the headlight switch.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Larry Reeves

I was looking at HID lamps with new pods for the highs and lows. Other than that, LED's aplenty...

GBrown #8092

I don't know if they are still available, but in my dark '81 C body car, I had used (and still have)  Cibie' brand European replacement head lights. The have the heavy crystal lenses and replaceable bulbs. New technology may be a little bit brighter, but these worked fine with no modifications required.

Glenn Brown