News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Battery

Started by John Galgano, June 01, 2007, 05:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Galgano

Could someone please tell me what battery came originally in a 1976 Eldorado, I thought it was the delco freedom battery which was maint free with no water fill caps, and if thats the case does anyone remanufacture them?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Check with a company called Antique Auto Battery in Ohio.  They repro exact
duplicates of all Delco batteries. I've used their product and was very satisfied.
I hae a '73 Eldo and they make a sealed version of the original that looks perfect.

Call them and they will know what you need.  1-800-426-7580.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

eam

jOHN!  The following is right from the 1976 shop manual: The original battery was a Delco R87-5 with a built in indicator.  The battery is completely sealed except for two small vent holes on the side to allow what small amount of gases are produced in the battery to escape. Water never needs to be added.  I purchased mine in 76 and that battery had to be one of the worst they ever made.  If you left the door open for a few minutes you end up with a dead battery.  I quickly replaced it to a much stronger one.  If I were you I wouldn't spend the money.  The battery had a cranking capacity of 3500 watts at zero degrees which wasn't acceptable to me at that time!  Good Luck!  EAM