News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

38 Cadillac Ser. 60 rear deck handle

Started by Mike, June 02, 2007, 01:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

The shaft in my 38 Cad Ser 60 (38-6127) rear deck handle is loose and will not close the latches. Is there any way to repair the handle? Lock and key works, the shaft just turns when you turn the T-handle and it shoud not. Worked fine until now. Thanks.

Terry Wenger

Mike:

Do you mean that when you turn the Tee Handle, the handle turns, but the shaft does not? Let me know if this is the problem as this problem occurs with many Cads in the '40's also. My 38-9039 did this and I fixed it.

Terry Wenger CLC 1800
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Mike

Yes, that is exactly what I mean, when T-handle is turned the shaft does not turn. How did you fix it. Thanks. Mike

Terry Wenger

Mike:

Here is my method for fixing the handles that spin on their shafts. This method can work on trunk and door handles until the late forties.

The handle was originally die cast onto the steel shaft and has worked loose over the years. My repair is simply to pin the handle to the shaft. On any handle without a lock in it it is reasonably simple, but on a handle with a lock, such as a trunk handle, it is a little more difficult.

I will describe it using a '38 "Tee" trunk handle as that is what you need to fix and I have taken the one out of my 38-90 and have it at hand. Other handles can be fixed using this method.

First, take the handle out of the trunk lid and be sure that the shaft is turned to its original position. This is usually apparent in looking at it, but in the case of the tee handle, the locking lug at the end of the shaft is perpendicular to the tee handle, or when the tee handle is horizontal the locking lug moves vertically. On later trunk handles, the locking lug may be vetical or horizontal to the handle.

Next remove the lock cylinder and spring. It is held in by a small 1/16 inch diameter pin that goes thru the shaft just to the rear of the locking lug. Note that the notch in the locking lug faces the lock cylinder. You may have to use a 1/16" punch to tap it out.

With the shaft in the correct position in the handle, drill a 1/8 inch diameter hole thru the handle and the shaft together in the center of the 3/4 inch diameter of the handle, which is the part that goes into the bushing in the trunk lid. This can't be seen from the outside. It is best to do this with a drill press.

Get a 1 inch long ,1/8 inch roll pin from a hardware store. ( A roll pin expands in the 1/8" hole and gives a tight fit, where a regular pin needs a more exact size hole.) Measure the hole in the shaft where the lock cylinder assy. slides in, subtract that from the 3/4 inch diameter of the handle where you drilled the hole and divide that by two.That will give you the length needed for two roll pins. Cut two pieces of roll pin to that length with a Dremel type tool, and tap one piece into each side of your handle in your 1/8" hole. Be sure that the pins don't intrude into the lock cylinder shaft hole. Clean the hole out with a rat tail file to be sure there are no burrs in there and clean up the outside of the pins with a flat file, so that the handle will fit into the trunk bushing.

(If this was a handle without a lock cyl., all that would be required would be one roll pin 3/4 inch long, tapped in the hole, and cleaned up on the 3/4 diameter.)

Reassemble the lock and spring and re-install the handle. I've done this to several of my cars and it works well. This type of repair really requires sketches and an article. but that takes time and this gets the answer to you now when you need it.

Terry Wenger  CLC # 1800
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S