News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Dynaflow/Hydromatic starters...

Started by Charles, June 07, 2007, 09:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

Was there any differences in the 1953 Hydromatic and Dynaflow starters? My starter has been rebuilt, but still acts up. My car was originally a 1953 Dynaflow car, but the previous owner swapped in the hydramatic. Wonder if he kept the old starter...

Any info is greatly appreciated
Charles
Charles Phelps CLC #23665
1951 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe
www.hotrodcaddy.com <--my Blog
[img]http://www.shoretelforums.com/pictures/Caddy4.jpg[/img]

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Charles,

Nope. All the same. The only exception in the Parts Book is that ther were two different part #'s. The first, # 110 7602 and it says when exhausted, use # 110 7619. By the way, how did you make out with the valve lifter situation?

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Charles

Quote from: P W Allen CLC# 20193 on June 08, 2007, 03:40:05 PM
Charles,

Nope. All the same. The only exception in the Parts Book is that ther were two different part #'s. The first, # 110 7602 and it says when exhausted, use # 110 7619. By the way, how did you make out with the valve lifter situation?

Paul

Just replied on that issue.

Damn...why is my starter grinding?????
1953 Cadillac Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Charles on June 08, 2007, 05:38:29 PM

Me thinks it is time you pulled it out, and to pieces to see if the bearings are gone.

There shouldn't be any grinding, but if there is, I would be looking very carefully at all the parts, including the condition of the ring gear.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Charles

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 08, 2007, 09:00:11 PM
Quote from: Charles on June 08, 2007, 05:38:29 PM

Me thinks it is time you pulled it out, and to pieces to see if the bearings are gone.

There shouldn't be any grinding, but if there is, I would be looking very carefully at all the parts, including the condition of the ring gear.

Ring gear was checked when I was rebuilding the engine. The teeth showed slight wear, but nothing that was deemed to be too serious.
The starter had the gear replaced, and the solenoid replaced by a starter rebuild shop. The probelm was there before I did all this, and it still does it. I'm lost. Maybe there is an electrical issue (wiring is pretty old and stiff) that is keeping the starter from functioning correctly?

Charles
1953 Cadillac Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best way to do it is get it out and do a bench test to see if it spins okay.

Now, there is "Grinding" and "Grinding"   One is the "Destruction" variety, and the other is the "geez i'm tight" variety.

Have you had a chance to put a Volt Meter across the Battery Terminals to see what the voltage is like, between just sitting, and cranking?   That is a good indication of just how the system is working.

With 12 Volt, a Starter Motor will usually only drop the charge a couple of Volts whilst cranking.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

I would be most interested in hearing the outcome of, and solution to, this problem.  I have a friend with a '64 Cadillac that does the same thing.  Starter would grind on the ring gear teeth rather than engage when he bought it a few months ago.  Ring gear replaced with new, starter replaced and it still does it on occasion.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Charles,

Here's something to consider, seeing that the starter was giving you trouble before the rebuild. You have sort of a unique car. One that was originally a Dynaflow car that was refitted with the Hydramatic. In past discussions, your engine and frame #'s match. This means you have the original engine in the car. The 331 Engines that were fitted with the Dynaflows, had a DIFFERENT crankshaft, flywheel and bellhousing than the ones fitted with the Hydramatic. I'm wondering if ALL these were changed when the Hydramatic went in? I especially wonder if the crankshaft was changed. I'm just thinking, that if they wern't, you may have some sort alignment problem between the starter and the ring gear that's causing the grinding. ???
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine