News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

429 starting problem: no gas

Started by rob_kr, June 08, 2007, 11:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob_kr

The rebuilt 429 in my 65 deville cvt has just completed 100 miles without breaking another rod, but still has an annoying problem. It will not cold-start unless I pour a cup of gas into the carburetor. With that it starts fine, any starts during the day after that are fine, but the next morning I'm back to pouring in a wake-up shot of gasoline. Any ideas on why I need to do this? The timing is pretty much spot-on, it uses an electronic ignition (very cool upgrade, no modifications, highly recommended by the way) so a clean spark, I've moved the throttle around to no avail, I'm about ready to use the screws on the front of the Carter carburetor but wanted some informed opinions first...

Thanks,

Rob K

TJ Hopland

I dont know the carters but if the choke is working (butterfly on top is shut) there has to be a lack of fuel in the bowl.  You can check that by holding the choke open (engine cold in the morning) and stroke the throttle.  You should see (again I dont know the carters) a small stream of fuel shooting down there somewhre.  You should get at least 2 steady steams and then a few more partial or dribbles.  If you dont see this there is either no fuel in the bowl or the accelerator pump is shot.  If you do see that stream thats the same as pouring gas down there so you must have some other problem going that makes it want/need that much extra fuel.   You must have done a Petronix type of upgrade?  I have read that the timing has to be changed with that upgrade so make sure you have checked it since the upgrade and that you had all the correct stuff plugged and unhooked to get the right base setting.  You could try starting it with the vacuum line unhooked from the dizzy, that should retard the timing or at least keep it from advancing as vacuum starts to build.  It may also be worth confirming that the timing mark is dead on.  With all the work it sounds like you have done or had done maybe something has got bent or put back on wrong.  I dont know the 429's that well so that may be unlikely.   Another possible thing, did you remove the resistor or resistor wire when you did the ignition upgrade?  Is it possible that you are not getting full voltage to the ignition when cranking, the full voltage comes from the starter solonoid.  Maybe that first start of the day is a bit on the weak side but later ones the battery has enough of an edge to overcome it?  Just thoughts........
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

I have had 2 '66's with Carter AFB's on the 429's.  Both would leak fuel out the plugs in the bottom of the carburetors and be hard to start after sitting overnight because the starter had to crank it long enough to pump fuel back into the carburetor.  Filling the plug cavities with JB Weld Kwik stopped the fuel from leaking out of the carburetor overnight and fixed my problem.  Good luck.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

I had the same problem with a '65. If the car was used everyday---no problem. But after sitting....it needed a sip to get things primed. It ended up being a crack in the top of the rubber fuel line that passes over the rear axle! Being it's the highest point in the fuel system, the small leak did not drip any noticeable fuel on the floor, but it DID break the vacuum in the suction side of the system, allowing the fuel line to get an air pocket, and poor suction on startup.

greg surfas

Quote from: rob_kr on June 08, 2007, 11:15:40 AM
The rebuilt 429 in my 65 deville cvt has just completed 100 miles without breaking another rod, but still has an annoying problem. It will not cold-start unless I pour a cup of gas into the carburetor. With that it starts fine, any starts during the day after that are fine, but the next morning I'm back to pouring in a wake-up shot of gasoline. Any ideas on why I need to do this? The timing is pretty much spot-on, it uses an electronic ignition (very cool upgrade, no modifications, highly recommended by the way) so a clean spark, I've moved the throttle around to no avail, I'm about ready to use the screws on the front of the Carter carburetor but wanted some informed opinions first...

Thanks,

Rob K
Rob,
If you replaced the carb on the intake manifold without the Bakelite insulator under it, the char will percolate all the gas out of it due to the heat transfer from the engine to the carb.  Is the insulator installed.
Greg

Chuck

My '67 Coupe DeVille with a 429 had the same problem, especially after sitting a couple of days.  I installed an electric fuel pump back at the gas tank to give it an initial "boost"  It runs off a toggle switch.  I turn it off after the engine starts.  Good luck!