News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 LaSalle

Started by Kenny, June 08, 2007, 11:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Could anyone tell me what a 1938 LaSalle Business Coupe with 44,000 original miles would be worth?

This car is complete with excellent chrome and stainless pieces, although the bumpers have a few scratches on them, but nothing that really concerns me, perfect glass and a working radio, very nice interior with just a stain on the upholstery behind the drivers seat. It starts and drives beautifully.  All locks work and it has the original set of keys, along with a few copies. It was just repainted, black of coarse, and needs the running boards, trim and lights reinstalled, but other than a new set of tires, seems to be in perfect condition. This car has the 322ci V8 and 3 speed on the tree which all works perfectly. The trunk has all the original upholstery, tool kit, and what looks like the original spare tire! (Looks like you could put a whole Little League Team in there!! LoL)

The seller is asking $5000 for it and I am definitely going to buy it this weekend, but I was just wondering what the value of this car might be.

Yeah, I know this car is a steal, that is why I gave the seller a deposit when I looked at it yesterday and plan on picking the car up tomorrow (Sat.).  I can hardly wait, (the wife isn't as thrilled as I am) as I have wanted a car with fenders for a very long time and always thought I would end up with an a Ford or Chevy.  But this car is very different from them and definitely has my interest bubbling. This will be a driver, not a Garage Queen, as I believe in driving classic cars, not just admiring them.

Just one more question, how difficult is it to find replacement parts for this car? (Shocks, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs, etc.)

Thanks for your time,

Kenny

Doug Houston

Not having seen the car myself, I'd say that the car is probably worth what you're paying for it. By that I mean that any item is worth the greatest amount someone was willing to pay. The seller may have been asking more for the car before you bought it, but unknown to you.

The value of anything is determined by the buyer; not the seller.

Now, as far as parts are concerned, anything mechanical can be bought for these cars.  Sounds  like this is your first vintage car, though that's not clear. This statement  erases any excuse for making the car into a hot rod.

The disposition of the car is up to ypu, of course. Try to overcome any temptation to paint the fenders another color than the body color. It's a common notion thjat fenders HAVE to be black or some other color than the body. On a '38 model car; it looks like crap. That trend went out with the '35 model cars.

The LaSalles had a ngood reputation for running and driving. They're a great highway car. Try not to crowd the engine past about 50 or 55 MPH. The axle ratios were designed for slower highways, and changed after such roads as the Pennsy Turnpike were opened. 

homeonprunehill

06-08-07
Kenny,I don't want to burst your balloon, but,  there is no such thing as a "1938 La Salle Business coupe. I suspect that it is a , 2 pass. coupe. which is what I have. I refered to mine as an "Opera Coupe" as that was what everyone called that body-style,because it came with 2 Opera Seats in the back. If you have time, please post what numbers are on the "data-plate" located on the fire-wall (engine-side) directly in front of drivers seat. Should have body , paint and series numbers on it. I can tell you that Cadillac only built
2711 coupes  in 1938. By all means, buy it! It should be worth more, but, about $25000.00 range in number 1 condition is about all one can hope for. As for replacement parts,What NAPA doesn't have in stock, they should be able to get for you right away. (less them a week).Deal with grey, white haired parts clarks only. I highly reccommand that you get several books; "La Salle", Cadillac's companion car (Home page of  CLC, For ordering) A shop manual. (Not "Chilton OR Haynes )HTH
Good luck, JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Kenny

Thanks for the info guys.

Doug,

I have no intentions of painting any part of this car. The whole car was just painted black and that is the color it was from the factory according to the second owner, who I am buying it from.  Unfortunately, it was repainted with a clearcoat paint, but then again, it would be difficult to find someone to paint it in laquer.  This is not my first vintage car, as I had a '48 Chevy Convertible and a '57 Pontiac Chief, but those cars didn't have fenders, just body panels covering the wheels.  I have absolutely no intentions of hot rodding this car!  That would be sin in my opinion.  I'm sure this car will handle most driving conditions I will encounter.

Jim,

According to the owners manual, this car is a business coupe. This car does not have any seats in the rear, just straps to hold down stuff. I wish it did have seats back there.  I'll have to get back to you on the data plate as I do not have possesion of the car yet.  Glad to hear that parts are available for this car and that they are available thru NAPA, meaning replacement parts shouldn't cost a fortune, which is a very good thing!!  If my memory serves me correctly, there is a La Salle repair manual in the truck, but I'll have to double check.

Will this car require the use of a lead additive in the fuel?  Also, what kind of oil should I run in this?  I want to change the oil and anti-freeze in her first thing, as the previous owner doesn't remember the last time any of that was changed.  He said he thinks it was all changed 2 years ago.  Also going to change the fluids in the tranny and rear-end.

Kenny

baxterculver

The price seems ok according to the Price Guide I have.  Unless there are hidden issues with the motor etc, you should be ok with the investment.

Join the Cadillac LaSalle Club--first thing.  If you want to know why, use the search engine on this message board and see what has been posted re: LaSalle's.

NAPA is ok but there are better sources for original parts.  Cooper's, Egge, Terrill Machine come to mind.  They can supply many OEM type, or reproduction bits that you will need from time to time.  You should be able to get the original factory "build sheet" from Cadillac Historical, for about $50.00  Also, don't scrimp on the tires.  When you replace them, go radials  (so much nicer to drive than bias ply).

Your car should be a very good candidate for touring.  It probably has a 3.90 final drive ratio which makes highway touring very easy.  I have a 1939 Cadillac 60S which I drove to Colorado from Calif. for the Club Driving Tour.  Also a couple of 2000 mile tours with a local club.  The car is very easy to drive long distances and the speeds (55-65) not at all hard on the mechanicals.  Your wife will love the trunk/rear seat space!

The next time you look at it, copy the numbers off the i.d. plate on the firewall (drivers side) and post them .  We can help you decode their meaning.

Good luck.
baxter culver clc#17184

homeonprunehill

06-08-07
Kenny, I will grant you that GM sold some cars, Chevrolet and such and called them "business-coupes". Chevrolet also made and sold  a "Coupe-Pick-Up". But that is a difference story. Sounds as if you have things layed-out pretty-good. As for oils, lubes and gasoline, Be very careful about which oil you used.Any GM dealer's parts department sales EOS. Search the old posts for "ZDDP" which is an "engine-oil-additive that the refinery are not putting in todays oils b'ause the engine oil that contains ZDDP coats the "CAT" and ruins them.  ZDDP is  a required conponent f engine oil for old Cadillacs and Cadillac La Salles because the engines have  "flat-cam-lobes and flat lifters and there are several club members  who have had to replace the cams. due to using engine oil that didn't have  enought ZDDP in it.   As for gasoline, use the lowest Octane you can find and add a "lead" additive to it
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

Yesterday I was in Akron, Ohio at Shepard's Automotive.  Shepards are well-known engine rebuilders for our older Cadillac and LaSalle flat head engines. Larry Shepard said that he recommends that a bottle of EOS be added to any engine that he rebuilds with EACH oil change and he also recommends straight 30 weight oil.  On a rebuilt engine, he recommends detergent oil but even more important than the brand of oil is to add the EOS.   EOS can be purchased at any GM parts counter, but is often hard to get, due to excess demand.  If your dealer does not have it, I would order a case if you plan to keep the car. 

The purchase price of your car seems extremely reasonable if car is complete, even if it has some minor issues.  Parts are available and the car can be driven most anywhere at highway speeds, once you make sure that the engine and radiator are squeaky clean.  My mechanic recommends that once a radiator and block are flushed out, it is a good idea to add a mixture of anti-freeze and distilled water.  Distilled water is available for about $1 per gallon at any grocery store and hopefully will prevent further corrosion.  I plan to use such a mixture after I get the engine back in my car, after rebuilding by Shepards.  (Engine was OK and ran well, but had some minor issues and some leakage in 2 cylinders, so am going for the full rebuilding process).

If you haven't yet joined the Cadillac LaSalle Club, recommend that you do so, as the information available is well worth the small cost.  Contact them at PO Box 360835, Columbus, OH  43236-0835 or at www.cadillaclasalleclub.org

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Kenny

Quote from: homeonprunehill on June 08, 2007, 02:15:02 PM
06-08-07
Kenny,I don't want to burst your balloon, but,  there is no such thing as a "1938 La Salle Business coupe. I suspect that it is a , 2 pass. coupe. which is what I have. I refered to mine as an "Opera Coupe" as that was what everyone called that body-style,because it came with 2 Opera Seats in the back. If you have time, please post what numbers are on the "data-plate" located on the fire-wall (engine-side) directly in front of drivers seat. Should have body , paint and series numbers on it. I can tell you that Cadillac only built
2711 coupes  in 1938. By all means, buy it! It should be worth more, but, about $25000.00 range in number 1 condition is about all one can hope for. As for replacement parts,What NAPA doesn't have in stock, they should be able to get for you right away. (less them a week).Deal with grey, white haired parts clarks only. I highly reccommand that you get several books; "La Salle", Cadillac's companion car (Home page of  CLC, For ordering) A shop manual. (Not "Chilton OR Haynes )HTH
Good luck, JIM

Jim,

You are correct!  This car does have 2 small flip down seats in the rear!  Someone put a piece of material in the back there that was covering the seats!

The car needs a little more work than initially thought, but is still in exceptional shape for a 70 yo car.

Now all I need to do is sell our boat to have the cash to make this car totally road-worthy.

Kenny

Fred Zwicker #23106

Kenny,

Here is a photo of one of my rear jump seats in my 1939 Convertible, which should be close to what you have in your 1938.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com