News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Repo bumpers fillers...whose really fits?

Started by steveandtracy, June 09, 2007, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveandtracy

As the subject line reads.  I was looking for body fillers and ordered the complete front and rear set from North Yale via E-Bay.  All piece except the rear tail light fillers seem as though they will fit correctly.  Upon further research each company that offers a comparable product I could locate had the same basic design flaw.  The aforementioned fillers do not have the proper lip that slide underneath the tail lights and just don't seem correct.  While I'd love to find an original pair (if you have an excellent set without ANY cracks or flaws previous paint is ok, please shoot me an e-mail), otherwise has anyone discovered a seller  of reproduction fillers that works and fits as the originals were designed?

Thanks,

Steve 

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: steveandtracy on June 09, 2007, 07:28:25 PM
As the subject line reads.  I was looking for body fillers and ordered the complete front and rear set from North Yale via E-Bay.  All piece except the rear tail light fillers seem as though they will fit correctly.  Upon further research each company that offers a comparable product I could locate had the same basic design flaw.  The aforementioned fillers do not have the proper lip that slide underneath the tail lights and just don't seem correct.  While I'd love to find an original pair (if you have an excellent set without ANY cracks or flaws previous paint is ok, please shoot me an e-mail), otherwise has anyone discovered a seller  of reproduction fillers that works and fits as the originals were designed?

Thanks,

Steve 

Steve:

What year and body style are you looking for?  More info is needed to give you
a good answer.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

steveandtracy

Mike,

It's a 75 Eldo Convertible.  I apologize for not being more specific, thanks.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: steveandtracy on June 09, 2007, 11:42:43 PM
Mike,

It's a 75 Eldo Convertible.  I apologize for not being more specific, thanks.

Steve:

The reproproduction pieces out there today are all ABS -- at least all that I have
seen or know about.  The originals ("rubber" type) for the 70's cars were made from
polyurethane.  After 5+ years they start to crack into pieces - they were never
designed to last that long.  Nobody is making these any longer.

As far as fit / finish -- the ABS pieces being sold are all produced by just two firms
in the U.S. -- but resold by many.  They fit fairly well (some modification with a Dremel
tool helps) and hold up well -- easier to paint since no flex additive is needed.
Downside is that on some of the larger parts they can look "wavy".  Mine are still
perfect since installation.

When I replaced all the fillers on my '73 Eldo about 6 years ago, I used a mix of
original (NOS) and ABS replacements to ge the best "look".  These are the folks I
used as sources:

For ABS replacements:

USA Parts, Manassas, VA (703) 335-1935

For NOS and ABS replacements:

Ted Holcombe, Bensalem PA (215-245-4560)

Good luck and let me know how things turn out !!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region