News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Transmission fluid for '32 LaSalle

Started by Paul Fatell, 21423, June 09, 2007, 10:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Fatell, 21423

I have a '32 LaSalle.  The service manual calls for 200 weight transmission lubricant.  Pennzoil has a product called Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid, but the weight is not listed on the container.  What lubricant should I use for my transmission?

Paul Fatell,  21423

pfatell@netzero.net

Paul Ayres #5640

Paul - The trans in your '32 is quite sensitive to lube viscosity, and modern manual trans lubes are way too thin to do the job in this old-timer.  Lubriplate makes a 140W oil that may work.  It is their part no. SPO-277.  You may need to mix in some of theor 250 weight oil, part no. SPO-288 to get good synchro action on 2nd and high gear.  I have found that I had to experiment with lube mixes to get the right combination.  You will know when you have it right, when the synchros are smooth on the shifts from low to 2nd and 2nd to high.  If the lube is too thick, the synchros will "balk," and the trans will shift hard.  If it is too thin, the synchros will clash.  Lubroplate oils can be had from Restoration Supply in Escondido, California (800) 306-7008. There are other lubes, like Penrite from Australia that will work, too, but they are sometimes hard to find.  Good luck.  Paul Ayres in Framington Hills, MI