News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

To all CLC members 1953 LeMans

Started by Jack Frank, April 25, 2007, 03:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Frank

8 monts ago I started all the research on all 4 of the 1953 Cadillac LeMans cars, Im building #1 it starts next week with the chassis, my Question to you is: If I build this car and its 98.5 percent dead on like the orignal what will my Recreation be worth?
Thanks for your help, Jack Rods   plummoparcrazy@yahoo

Joe Abernathy #17524

Whatever someone is willing to pay.

BJ

Jerry

And you might get more if the cameras are rolling at the time it runs through the auction block.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Jack Frank on April 25, 2007, 03:50:24 PM
8 monts ago I started all the research on all 4 of the 1953 Cadillac LeMans cars, Im building #1 it starts next week with the chassis, my Question to you is: If I build this car and its 98.5 percent dead on like the orignal what will my Recreation be worth?
Thanks for your help, Jack Rods   plummoparcrazy@yahoo

Jack:

You're trying to recreate a "one of a kind" rare show car.  Even if you are successful, I doubt
that people are going to be willing to pay what you'll consider a fair return.  These cars require
a certain "provenance" -- that is to say they require documentation that traces to an original.
This car will have none, therefore making it very tough to recoupe the $300K+ you'll have to invest
for a condition 1 car.  I would not attempt such a project.    If you do, BOL, Just MHO,  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jack Frank

Don't know where you came up with 300K, but I doing the car anyway and just wanted to tell you all I just got my 54 coup here at my shop now, so now for the tare down...... I will post in the for sale section all the trim, dash, glass and alot of parts I don't need........ Jack
plummoparcrazy@yahoo.com

Davidinhartford

Build it because you WANT to.   Not for resale.  That is the wrong reason.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: DavidinHartford on June 11, 2007, 07:48:20 PM
Build it because you WANT to.   Not for resale.  That is the wrong reason.

Folks:

I fully agree that a restoration should be done because you want it -- not for a potential
profit.  However, since the owner here wants to know "what it will be worth" -- I must
inject some caution.  The type of "restoration" we're talking about here will cost
well into 6 figures, even if he does most of the work himself.  He's looking for a profit,
and based on my experience (even if you value you labor at "zero") that profit will
evaporate.  Just my opinion, having been there, done that.  Miike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region