News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Deville not starting, PANIK!

Started by Soren Johnson, June 10, 2007, 05:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soren Johnson

My Deville -91 is right now standing dead!
Nothing happens when I turn the key.
No sound from the starter engine, no "cklick".
The car is standing i P.
I can't move the gear shift to any other possition.
Should I be able to do that with the engine not runing?
The panel lights up when I turn the key.

Please, I need fast advise!!!
Soren Johnson, Sweden

Roger Zimmermann

You may just have a dead  (or almost dead) battery. It has not enough current to activate the solenoid the shift out of "P"
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Soren Johnson

12.63 volts.
I have not been able to see how low it goes when i turn the key.

And gues what! After I have let the car stand for about 20 minutes, it started.
Could it be a relay that don't does it job right?

It did the same thing 2 days agoe. Did not start - Stand for about 20-30 minutes - Started

I have hade problem the past weeks with having to turn the key 2-3 times for the starter to turn.
Soren Johnson, Sweden

Kevin M. Parkinson

One possibility could be with the PASS key anti-theft system.  Your ignition key likely has a resistor in it that is necessary to allow the car to start.  With the incorrect resistance, the vehicle is disabled for three minutes. 

I have read on other forums about owners who were unable to start their car for this reason and it started on a later attempt.  They report problems with the key itself or a problem with a remote starter installation.  Have you tried starting the car with a spare key?
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

Soren Johnson

I have not tried my spare key but will keep it in my pocket if I have the starting problem again.
Soren Johnson, Sweden

Roger Zimmermann

My first answer obviously does not apply if the car started 20 minites after the first attemps. The Pass-key is a good explanation; the pellet may be dirty; cleaning it may do wonders.
If I'm remembering well, a text should appear on a screen when the Pass-key does not recognize the proper pellet.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101