News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seat belt installation in 1941 Cadillac.

Started by Michael Bradley, June 11, 2007, 05:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Bradley

Sorry if this has been covered before.
I am going to install front seat belts in my 4 door.
The issue is one of mounting. The seat frame is
an easy solution but I am unsure if it is strong enough.
There appears to be no easy path to the floor without
cutting.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill Ingler #7799

You are right, the seat frame is not strong enough and should not be used to anchor seat belts. I have put belts in a 41-62 and a 41-60S. The only installation that I am comfortable with is running the belts through the metal seat frame just below the bottom of the back cushion and attaching the belts to the floor directly behind the front seat using very large washers on the under side of the bottom of the floor.When the bottom seat cushion is in the seat frame, this will allow the belts to lay on the seat, going down between the back cushion and bottom cushion,pass through the metal seat frame slots and attach to the floor keeping realtivly the same angle. This installation requires that you cut four slots in the metal seat back which is not easy. If you remove the front seat cushion but keep the back cushion in place, at the bottom of the back seat cushion you will see the metal start to curve under to form the bottom of the seat frame. At that point I cut a slot in the metal about 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inches. I think the standard belt is 1x7/9 inches wide. I postioned the slots so the belt bolts are 15 inches apart for each belt. Mark the metal for the holes then at each end of that slot, drill a 1/2 inch hole. I then use a hand held power saw to cut from one hole to another which gives me a 1/2 by 2 1/2 slot.. I wrap duct tape around the cut slots to protect the belts. This is my method, I am sure there are others who have done it a differnt way.

Michael Bradley

Thanks for the info. I had hoped to avoid cutting. I had thought to reenforce the seat frame or
using a much longer bolts to go from the frame through the floor - and double nut - one on the seat and
one on the frame..