News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

updating a 1978 Coupe De Ville

Started by K. Diaz, June 18, 2007, 10:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K. Diaz

New member here, I was looking into perhaps finding a rear disc brake set up for my car.  I believe the 77-79 Fleetwoods came with them?  Any other donors?  I'm in Colorado, so any folks in the area, I'd like to get the scoop on favorite junkyards, mechanics, etc.

And I know that I don't NEED disc brakes, but I figured it could be an easy enough conversion. 

I'm also looking for the chrome rear window trim (so I can remove the vinyl top) and aluminum hood.

thanks.

TJ Hopland

This guy has some products others dont.  I would imagine one of the GM kits would fit you would just have to figure out which one since there were slight differnces in the cads.  I think in 77 some of the stuff switched to more standard GM so you may be in luck.

http://www.scarebird.com/index2.html
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Steve Stainbrook

Have you visited Arapahoe Auto parts off of Sante Fe and Oxford in Denver yet?  Donny has a few older card there and specializes only in Cadillacs.  I'm traveling out of state so I don't have his phone number.  Also, yahoo or google Elliot's Auto Repair, I had Kevin there do work on my '75 Cadillac and although it wasn't the quickest repair time, the quality and price was great.  Kevin is on Broadway.

K. Diaz

Quote from: TJ H on June 18, 2007, 11:29:54 PM
This guy has some products others dont.  I would imagine one of the GM kits would fit you would just have to figure out which one since there were slight differnces in the cads.  I think in 77 some of the stuff switched to more standard GM so you may be in luck.

http://www.scarebird.com/index2.html

I sent them an email, thank you

K. Diaz

Quote from: Steve Stainbrook on June 19, 2007, 07:27:42 AM
Have you visited Arapahoe Auto parts off of Sante Fe and Oxford in Denver yet?  Donny has a few older card there and specializes only in Cadillacs.  I'm traveling out of state so I don't have his phone number.  Also, yahoo or google Elliot's Auto Repair, I had Kevin there do work on my '75 Cadillac and although it wasn't the quickest repair time, the quality and price was great.  Kevin is on Broadway.

I haven't, only place I've gone to is Colorado parts (or something like that).  Same area.  I'll have to give it a shot.

steveandtracy

I found a potential other haunt for us in the Denver area.  Speedway auto parts in Erie.  Look in the yellow pages they specialize in classic cars.  The guys at Colorado Auto said they had a large selection of older Cadillacs.  I can't validate the statement, but if you go, could you reply so I know if it's worth the trip from Littleton?  I'm restoring a 75 Eldo convertible so I don't think we'd be hunting for the same parts.  I'm down to just a couple of trim pieces such as NOS close mirror and better than mine interior door panels.

Good luck.  Also, I'll keep my eyes open for your rear window trim.

Steve

K. Diaz

Sorry for the late reply, I don't check here too often.  I've stopped by Speedway once, it's right off the highway.  They kind of turned me off since they pull the parts, you're not allowed back there.  A disc brake rear end cost $300, which I thought was a little overpriced.  I really prefer pick-a-part places, at least for now.

Quote from: steveandtracy on June 24, 2007, 08:46:48 AM
I found a potential other haunt for us in the Denver area.  Speedway auto parts in Erie.  Look in the yellow pages they specialize in classic cars.  The guys at Colorado Auto said they had a large selection of older Cadillacs.  I can't validate the statement, but if you go, could you reply so I know if it's worth the trip from Littleton?  I'm restoring a 75 Eldo convertible so I don't think we'd be hunting for the same parts.  I'm down to just a couple of trim pieces such as NOS close mirror and better than mine interior door panels.

Good luck.  Also, I'll keep my eyes open for your rear window trim.

Steve

K. Diaz

will a 1977 fleetwood frame swap into a 1978 coupe de ville?  Different body mounts probably, are they the same length?  Any tips or advice?  I'm looking to upgrade the disc brake rear end and use the drivetrain

Stampie

That seems like the long way to bring the cow back to the barn.  Why not just swap the rear end into the Deville?

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

K. Diaz

Quote from: Michael Stamps on September 13, 2007, 03:15:54 PM
That seems like the long way to bring the cow back to the barn.  Why not just swap the rear end into the Deville?

Stampie

I was looking for a better foundation, but the question's moot anyways, the trans ended up being bad.