News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1936 Cadillac Model 60

Started by mwiedmer, June 18, 2007, 05:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwiedmer

I am working on a 1936 Model 60 Cadillac.  I would appreciate any drivetrain advice, particularly what, if any, other engines will bolt in (1937-1940 LaSalle?) and what transmissions will interchange.  Thank you.

Mike
Michael Wiedmer, CLC#12961

Doug Houston

The '36 engines were quite different from the later models in several ways. The mounting to the chassis was very different.  If byou can rebuild the '36 engine, it might be a lot easier than to try to adapt the frame to a later engine. The later cars had engine mounts on the frame, under the vee of the block, and the '36 hasn't. The other engine mount on later years was on the tail housing of the transmission.

mwiedmer

Doug,

Thank you for your response.  I tried replying earlier, but I not sure I was successful.

Do you know if a '37 transmission will bolt up in a '36 frame?

Mike
Michael Wiedmer, CLC#12961

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, I MAY have a '36 60 transmission. I would need the tracing for the front of the transmission, and some pictures if you have any. But, if you could send a full sized tracing from the bell housing, VIA snail mail, I could see if it matches up. Or, I could send you a tracing. I have one lying around my desk somewhere. If you are a Club member, I am in the Directory (IN) and you can call me. I am on EDT and usually up for the 11 PM news. Also retired, so I can be reached during the day. If not a club member, click on my name, and I will get the email and can give you my phone # that way.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

william_b_noble

a 37 trans will not work on 36.  engines are very different too.
Bill N - clc # 2371

Steve Passmore

I have a 1936 70 series with a 1947 engine, (fitted many years ago) and it bolts right up with the original trans and only a little amount of metal being removed from the block webbing to allow the starter position adjustment, therefor there should be no reason that it will not work in reverse if you can keep the earlier bell housing and construct a gearbox cross member, however you do need the flywheel of the later engine. As Doug states the mounts are different but you can easily adapt the later mounts to the side rails by attaching brackets, in effect you end up with 5 engine mounts if you keep the earlier gearbox.
On a side note Cadillac kept the same chassis front cross member on through 38 as all my cars have the 36 engine mount positions in the front redundant.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

william_b_noble

the series 70 may be different - my recollection is that the tail of the transmission is drastically different, but then again my car is a 60.  When I got it, I had to take a cutting torch to remove the metal brackets a prior owner had welded to the frame to use a 37 engine. - yes the 37 engine will fit, and is widely available (at the time) as a surplus tank engine, however it is not original and if you want original you must use an engine with those cast front facing L shaped motor mounts that are famous for breaking in half
Bill N - clc # 2371

Steve Passmore

Sorry William, the 37 engine is nothing like a tank engine, my 37 engine has more similarities to the 36 engine apart from the motor mounts and has a mass of differences to my 41 and 47 engine which is basically the war time design.
I should mention that my 36 has a 62 series engine but retains the 70 / 80 series transmit ion so anything should be possible using 60 or 62 series parts.
. I can understand a lot of purist readers will cringe at this information but Mike was asking, and if it keeps another car on the road I'm all for that. Have you seen a plenty-full supply of 36 engines lately?
By the way Bill, I just checked out your web site and loved it, mind if I use some of the sarcasms?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

william_b_noble

thanks, feel free to use the sarcasms, feel free to link to content you find helpful.

I guess my memory fails - when I was rebuilding my car, the engine in the frame was a 37, after much searching I got a 36 engine shipped to me and rebuilt that, I guess what I am remembering is getting valve lifters from the tank engine from Egge Machine Co, and I think I used the 37 rods but the 36 crank, it's been a long while since I did that part of the rebuild.

By the way, for those who care, since I am now working on the hood, the hood inside, and the hood louvers inside is body color, but the 4 bars that link the hood louver segments together is originally black, and the spring copper anti rattle springs are unpainted.  I am sure of this because there is no way my car was previously painted. 
Bill N - clc # 2371