News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 caddy headlight wiring diagram?

Started by harvey b, June 24, 2007, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvey b

hello all,have a 37 caddy 60 series v8,recently rewired car from one end to the other.my questions are the terminals on the headlight switch and the dimmer switch,they are not marked at least i cant see any numbers or letters on the posts.i need to know which wire is for what  post,i have a shop manual but it isnt really clear as to what wire is in what order.the pictures in the manual are numbered but the dimmer and headlight switch have no markings.i think i have the headlights figured out but cant get them to dim like they are supposed to.any help is appreciated.  thanks Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

ERIC CLAUSEN

Hi Harvey,
I am in the same boat, I had a faulty headlight switch and had to use a similar one (1936 Buick) so in the process lost the location of where the terminals go.  I've got the headlights working but the high beams aren't working correctly and the dash lights that indicate passing etc. aren't right  either. 
I have since found an original  switch but I am hesitant to install until I know how. Like you said, there are no markings on the switch.
If you find anything out I would also like to know.

Eric

Warren Rauch

I don't have a copy of the 1937 shop manual, but the diagram in the 1938 is also confusing, in that the control knob isn't shown. I found  1937 wiring diagrams for series 60 and 70 in a National Data book and they do have the knob for reference.
To recreate this diagram for you, start with the knob on your left. On the lower side ,from the knob is 5,4,3,2 and1 in that order. On the upper side is 12,11,10,9, no8, 7 and 6.  So there are 6 terminals up and 5 down. The diagram in your shop manual hopefully will now make sense. The dimmer only has 3 positions power is one ( it will be connected to the other 2 terminals ,one at a time depending on switch position)
and up or down the other 2 ,if they are wrong just reverse them.
The headlight switch should operate like a normal one in knob positions 1(parking light) and 2 (headlight). In 1937-39 there is position 3 , high beam  and passing . That is why you have four lights in the speedometer to distinguish which beam your on. To get them to light on cue, arrange as follows. City (low beam) is on termial#2 the wire is natural w/red tracer. Drive(high beam) is termial 4 natural no tracer. Pass ( left low, right high) is termial3 natural w/green tracer. Park (parking lights) is termial 6 natural red cross tracer( 2 threads that cross). If you think you still need a copy of the National Data diagram  email me. Warren

ERIC CLAUSEN

Hi Warren,
I just wanted to thank you for the information on the 1937 Cadillac light switch.
I think this will be very helpful.
I'll work on it soon now that I have your diagram to go by.
Best regards, Eric :D