News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

hydra matic 1960 TV Rod adjustment

Started by Crys59, June 27, 2007, 05:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crys59

hello All, (excuse me for my english very bad)

i don't ubnderstand how to adjust the TV ROD.

in fact when i press complety the accelerator pedal, my car is in free wheel ? but all speed works good, the problem is only when i press completly the accelerator.

thank you for your help :)
If it ain't work, chrome it!

cadillac flat roof 1959
cadillac limousine 1977
thunderbird convertible 1961

George UK

When you press the accelerator to the floor in normal running, the transmission should shift down a gear and the car should accellerate away.
This function is to allow for passing or hill climbing. sometimes called  "kick down"
   The link to the transmission is all mechanical.
The adjustment ( should you need it.] is not hard, but you do need to know what you are doing.
   You only need 2 wrenches and a 1/4 drill bit.
If you don't have a shop manual, I can send the instructions by E mail.

Crys59

thank you very much george,
i have the shop manual, but i don't understand what is the 1/4 drill bit and for to do what?.
please  could you to send to me a pictures or explications on my Email christian-menuet@orange.fr

thank you for your help ;)

cadillac flat roof 1959
cadillac limousine 1977

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Crys59 on June 28, 2007, 08:10:25 AM
thank you very much george,
i have the shop manual, but i don't understand what is the 1/4 drill bit and for to do what?.
please  could you to send to me a pictures or explications on my Email christian-menuet@orange.fr

thank you for your help ;)

The term "1/4 Inch Drill Bit" is referring to a piece of 1/4 inch rod that is used to place in the throttle linkage to position the lever and bracket in its' correct initial position.

The reason they make mention of a 1/4 inch drill bit is that not many mechanics tool boxes have a piece of steel the right size, whereas they always have drills laying around.

I am not sure what the French is for drill bit, but a drill bit is the spiral thing that is sharpened at one end, and the non spiral bit on the other end fits into a drilling machine, and the combination is used to make holes in things.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Crys59

thank you Bruce, i understand now.

in french the drill is "foret".
but why to do use a drill for initial position, the original system (spring) is ok,for maitain the carburator close during the tV rod adjustement no ?

because if i understand good , the carburator can to be in idle position for this adjustement?

thank you for your help and excuse me again for my english very bad.

cadillac flat roof 1959
cadillac limousine 1977

George UK

Hi Crys
The bracket is attached to the firewall of the car. If you release the carb lever, the arm is then free to move to any position on it's own.

The drill [1/4 inch] will fit snuggly  through the hole in the lever and into the bracket attached to the firewall this stops any movement from the lever which is now loose, and holds it in it's correct place.

With the carburetter set to idle position [engine hot]The 2 adjusting nuts can now be turned to get the trunnion lined up with the hole in the carb and the hole in the dash lever.
The dash relay bracket is located just below the throttle check diaphram attached to the firewall. [4BBl carb.]
I have drawn a rough diagram the red hole marked is in both the bracket and the lever and this is where the 1/4 foret fits.[I hope to get a picture in the louvre some day] Bonne chante

The Tassie Devil(le)

The "Foret" is placed in the holes that are in the Dash Relay Lever that is attached to the firewall.   This is done to locate the Accelerator Linkage in its' correct alignment before attempting to adjust the threaded end of the TV Rod at the Carburettor.

The Workshop Manual describes the steps to take.

And, don't forget to remove the "Foret" after doing the adjustmemts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Crys59

Thank you but i don't understand the relation between the TV rod and the dash relay.

the accelerator pedal with dash relay and lever is for "drive" the carburator.
and the TV rod is for "action "the kick down.

when the accelerator pedal is competly pressed, the tv rod push the kick down valve and the trans downshift.

when i disconnect the accelerator lever, my carburator is in idle position because the spring close the carburator.
in this position it's so easy to adjust the tv rod.
why insert a drill ? may be for adjust the initail position of the accelerator pedal in the car?

cadillac flat roof 1959
cadillac limousine 1977

George UK

Hi Crys
If you do not insert the drill it is possible for the relay rod to be in the wrong position relative to the accellerator.
The drill lines up the rod with the fixed bracket attached to the firewall.

With the drill inserted in the holes and the TV rod detached from the carb. the TV [kickdown rod] is in the correct alignment position with the accellerator pedal
Now you adjust the rod length [using the 2 nuts attached to the threaded kickdown rod] to push through the hole in the carb, and attach the retaining pin.
With the carb adjusted for hot idle.

Detach the rod from the carb and push it towards the rear of the car.  The holes will now not line up. You will see the rod can still be adjusted to fit..but [ in the wrong position.] Then push the drill through the holes and the rod cannot move unless the accellerator also moves.
Are you sure you have the correct position for the drill?

Crys59

OK i understand, i try that this evening .

thank you again :)

cadillac flat roof 1959
cadillac limousine 1977

Crys59

thanks  again, that is OK all works good.
but i have other problem with wiring generator and carburetor .

i'am creating a new topic for that.

cadillac flat roof 1959
cadillac limousine 1977

Larry McGee

Quote from: George UK on June 28, 2007, 09:37:45 AM
Hi Crys
The bracket is attached to the firewall of the car. If you release the carb lever, the arm is then free to move to any position on it's own.

The drill [1/4 inch] will fit snuggly  through the hole in the lever and into the bracket attached to the firewall this stops any movement from the lever which is now loose, and holds it in it's correct place.

With the carburetter set to idle position [engine hot]The 2 adjusting nuts can now be turned to get the trunnion lined up with the hole in the carb and the hole in the dash lever.
The dash relay bracket is located just below the throttle check diaphram attached to the firewall. [4BBl carb.]
I have drawn a rough diagram the red hole marked is in both the bracket and the lever and this is where the 1/4 foret fits.[I hope to get a picture in the louvre some day] Bonne chante