News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What part number for '38 starter?

Started by Rhino, June 28, 2007, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino

Can someone tell me the correct Delco starter number for a 1938 La Salle 322 V-8? Methinks I have a twelve volt model in my car. Turns kinda slow on six volts, seems normal on twelve.

Jack Mcilwraith

Quote from: Rhino on June 28, 2007, 09:59:46 PM
Can someone tell me the correct Delco starter number for a 1938 La Salle 322 V-8? Methinks I have a twelve volt model in my car. Turns kinda slow on six volts, seems normal on twelve.

My parts books show 1859883 as the correct number for 1938 Lasalle.

baxterculver

Quote from: Jack Mcilwraith on June 29, 2007, 08:35:34 AM
Quote from: Rhino on June 28, 2007, 09:59:46 PM

My parts books show 1859883 as the correct number for 1938 Lasalle.
Jack,
My Cadillac and La Salle Master Parts Book agrees with your number (#1859883).  However, my Delco-Remy Electrical Parts catalog shows:  "Cranking Motor  #727-V for the 1938  Model 38-50 LaSalle.  (Same # used for 1938 Cadillac V-8).  For 1939 and 1940 Cadillac and La Salle, the Delco model  # is 1107912.

I am assuming both/all #'s are correct.  One is carried as a Cadillac parts #, while the other is a Delco Model #.  Is this correct? 
baxter culver clc#17184

Jack Mcilwraith

Baxter-I also have a Delco-remy catalogue.I see those numbers  which you mentioned.It's possible those are the Delco-remy numbers.but what would be stamped on the unit itself? Presumably the Cadillac number?

Rhino

This is the number on my starter. That means it come off a goes to the rebuild shop on Monday.

baxterculver

Quote from: Rhino on June 29, 2007, 07:44:30 PM
This is the number on my starter. That means it come off a goes to the rebuild shop on Monday.

I suspected the number on the starter was the Cadillac #. 

When you get the starter back from the rebuilder, carefully follow the shop manual directions for setting up the solenoid plunger adjustment.  If it isn't set up correctly, and the starter actually hits the flywheel, much energy is lost and the starter will be dragging unstead of spinning.  Important!
baxter culver clc#17184