News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Fleetwood Eldorado Sticky Drum Brakes

Started by Matt CLC# 18621, July 07, 2007, 06:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC# 18621

Right front drum brake shoes appear to be stuck against the drum (smoking) and seems like it became worse when placed car in reverse trying to adjust the brake shoes.  Drums and shoes were all replaced 4,000 miles back.  The right front drum brake cover appears to have rusted while the remaining three drum brake covers have not rusted. 

Car has come out of November ’06 hibernation.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
CLC# 18621

G.Newcombe #4719

Might be a bad brake hose on that side not letting the brake pressure release, this is not uncommon.  Try opening the bleeder, if fluid escapes under pressure I would suspect the hose first.  Relieving the pressure should allow the wheel to turn freely, until you use the brakes again.  That drum is rusty because of the great heat buildup caused by the dragging brake linings.  The brake linings will not be "stuck" to the drums, they are being held there probably by pressure.

TJ Hopland

Right front hose seems to be a common problem on eldos for some reason. I have no idea why since both sides are the same on disc brake cars.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

When did disc brakes become standard on the eldo's?  I was thinking that the 67 disc was standard. I have heard that parts are hard to come by because it was a dual piston setup that was not used on any other GM car other than the Toros.  I know the 66 Toros had drums and that was mentioned in all the reviews that shuch a high tech car had low tech brakes.  You would think that cadillac would not have made the same mistake since by 67 discs were an option on several cars.  Its not like they should have been afraid of trying anything new on those cars since the FWD thing was new anyway.  If you didnt trust the FWD to get you goin you wouldnt need to stop right?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

David #19063

If I am not mistaken, the dual piston calipers were also used on the Riviera in the late 60's, however they also mainly used on the Corvette's as well.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Matt CLC# 18621

Popped the master cylinder cover and car rolled nicely until I pressed on the brakes.  Next stop is the service station.

Matt

Guidematic

Restricted hose, or a siezed wheel cylinder.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Matt CLC# 18621

It was the front hose, had both replaced, thanks everyone for the help.

Matt

Glen

Matt, glad to hear the problem was easily fixed. 

TJH, the ’67 shop manual list the Eldorado as having drum brakes standard and disc brakes are optional.  The calipers for the optional disc brakes are four piston calipers like the standard brakes on the ’68 Eldorado.  The calipers are hard to get but the pads are easy. 

In ’69 the Eldorado went to single piston floating calipers. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

wm link

related to this thread...I have a 67 eldo disc brake system,  removed from a low mile car, axle shafts too.