News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70's Cadillac Window Sticker Fonts

Started by DaveMac, July 11, 2007, 01:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveMac

I know a long time a ago, I had asked about what font was suitable for making a reproduction sticker for my 1977 Cadillac Eldorado.

I got several answers and thank everyone who responded very much, but was nonetheless still not satisfied with what I saw regarding a suitable font as suggested.

My desire was to come as close to the look and feel of the Cadillac Window Sticker as possible.  Most of the fonts suggested were either serif type fonts or very much not so close in appearance as I wanted to that of what I've been seeing on actual GM and Cadillac stickers of that time period.

Well?  It's been several months of looking around, but now I think I've found the closest free soloution possible to my answer myself and quite by accident.  (Not giving details as it's a long story and it was by accident anyhow.)

The font I found?

It's called "Vera" which is similar to "Prima" both from Bitsream.  The shapes of entire alphabet and the numbers come the closest I have yet in appearance to that of what I'd like to call 70's GM Window Sticker Font.  That family has a monospaced font in it that's got as much of the same look and feel as I can find to fulfill my satisfaction.  All I have to do is ajust the spacing a little bit between letters while using Quark, if I want to get real fussy.

Now should anyone want to go further and repro the EPA sticker frm back then, that's another whole story and I'm lookng into that.  Again finding the proper font which is yet another sans seriff and also finding a CLEAN scan of the period EPA "Star" logo.

Reproducing the two of these in time are pretty much a goal of mine on the side as I think it would be neat to have both framed and hanging on the wall for showing off and for reference.

Anyhow, just passing along some infor for those who are looking or are possibly interested is all.

Also again THANKS to those who've responded and offered suggestions to my earlier post regarding.

Later!

Dave

Art Director

Hello Davemac or whatever your name is (it doesn't seem to show up on your posting):

One Web site I find quite helpful in identifying fonts is listed below. Just scan the document you have, save a sample of it as a small .tif file and upload. The Web site will return several possibilities. If that doesn't help, post your sample there and typography gurus will help you out. Saves me a lot of time!

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Tim Coy
Art director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP