News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My 1955 Eldorado Coupe/Seville/Celebrity??

Started by Big Iron, July 13, 2007, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Iron

Hi there!

I am new to this forum, just found it. I live, born and raised in Norway, so sorry for my poor writing and language. 

A couple of years ago, I bought a -55 Cadillac 2dht, that I was told was probably a Coupe deVille with a -58 rearend.
It was not too hard to see that it was a -55 Eldorado, but as a coupe, or a Seville? It also says Eldorado in the title/documents, wich means that it also had that name in the title when it was imported from USA in the mid 80's...

I've found something in the "Cadillac database"-website http://car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm55.htm about a similar-looking car, the Celebrity Coupe. The difference that I can see, is that my car has fenderskirts. Of course, this car could be a conversion or a custom, but it seems so autentic and well done.

It has most of the options that a Eldorado/Seville would have. Like the A/C, Dualquad, aluminium floor-plates, sabre spokes, etc...

Now, does any one know something about this car? I don't know anything about this car, since it came to Norway in -85 or -86, exept that the car once has been babyblue, and later gray, and now black.

The car is in everyday use, but its not in too good shape though. It has some rust in the floors, the back of the roof, a bit of a knock in the engine on idle, etc., but I am often spending some money on the car, to slowly restore it to what seems to be correct.

Here is a couple of pictures of the car, hope any one knows something about it to tell me...

Sten Cato Nordsæther, Norway.

Big Iron

A couple more pic's.

Warren Rauch

There should be an aluminum tag on the  cowl, under the hood. It might help if you could give us the numbers and letter codes that are on it. The factory tag would be from Fisher/ Fleetwood Body  company. There may also be  a tag of some other builder if it does have custom work on it.Warren

veesixteen

The first thing to do is check the car's body ID tag (as Warren says, look for the aluminum plate on the firewall, usually on the driver's side, under the hood, up near the windshield).

There you will find a whole bunch of letters and figures.  Copy them and send them to the Forum for identification.  If your car is a factory custom job, it will include the letters "SO" (Special order).

I tend to think it's an amateur conversion, similar to some that you can see in the Club's "Cadillac Database" in the "Dream Cars" section for 1955 and 1956. In fact, I believe there is already a photo of your car there (near the bottom of the page for 1955). 

BTW, I notice that some of the other photos of that car don't show up! I will try to fix that problem when I get back home from Europe in late October.

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm55.htm

Quote from: Big Iron on July 13, 2007, 05:33:32 PM
Hi there!

I am new to this forum, just found it. I live, born and raised in Norway, so sorry for my poor writing and language. 

A couple of years ago, I bought a -55 Cadillac 2dht, that I was told was probably a Coupe deVille with a -58 rearend.
It was not too hard to see that it was a -55 Eldorado, but as a coupe, or a Seville? It also says Eldorado in the title/documents, wich means that it also had that name in the title when it was imported from USA in the mid 80's...

I've found something in the "Cadillac database"-website http://car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm55.htm about a similar-looking car, the Celebrity Coupe. The difference that I can see, is that my car has fenderskirts. Of course, this car could be a conversion or a custom, but it seems so autentic and well done.

It has most of the options that a Eldorado/Seville would have. Like the A/C, Dualquad, aluminium floor-plates, sabre spokes, etc...

Now, does any one know something about this car? I don't know anything about this car, since it came to Norway in -85 or -86, exept that the car once has been babyblue, and later gray, and now black.

The car is in everyday use, but its not in too good shape though. It has some rust in the floors, the back of the roof, a bit of a knock in the engine on idle, etc., but I am often spending some money on the car, to slowly restore it to what seems to be correct.

Here is a couple of pictures of the car, hope any one knows something about it to tell me...

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Big Iron

Thank you for your quick reply!

I was just down in my garage to take the numbers that you asked for.

Style no. 55-6237
Body no. FW12737
Trim no. 43   S
Paint no. 22-90

Chassinumber from the title/documents. 556273079

An other thing, those pictures of my car on your website, how did they get there? I don't mind that they are there, but it just would be fun to know.
The pictures are from the previous time that I owned the car, before I moved to my new apartment. I have not distributed those pictures on the net.

Anyway, I bought the Cadillac back in 2002, and I sold it again in late 2004. But due to deep regrets, i bougt it back again in late 2005, and have now slowly started to restore the car.

I talked to a guy here in Norway, hwo is a Cadillac-expert. He remembers when the car came to Norway in the 80's, and it was allready in poor condition back then. So if this is an amateur conversion, it must have been done in the 60's or 70's.

I don't mind if it is an amateur conversion, anyway it's still a very nice car.

veesixteen

So it appears to have been built as a regular "Series 62" coupe, that someone converted to look like that year's Motorama "Celebrity" coupe (The Eldorado "Seville" did nolt go into production until 1956).

I have no idea how I got these photos of your car. Thousands of people send in photos for the Database.  Unless you sent them to me yourself, then someone must have taken photos of your car and sent them to me.  Can you see if these photos were taken by you? Did you ever have the car advertised for sale with these photos?

Quote from: Big Iron on July 14, 2007, 05:15:04 AM
Thank you for your quick reply!

I was just down in my garage to take the numbers that you asked for.

Style no. 55-6237
Body no. FW12737
Trim no. 43   S
Paint no. 22-90

Chassinumber from the title/documents. 556273079

An other thing, those pictures of my car on your website, how did they get there? I don't mind that they are there, but it just would be fun to know.
The pictures are from the previous time that I owned the car, before I moved to my new apartment. I have not distributed those pictures on the net.

Anyway, I bought the Cadillac back in 2002, and I sold it again in late 2004. But due to deep regrets, i bougt it back again in late 2005, and have now slowly started to restore the car.

I talked to a guy here in Norway, hwo is a Cadillac-expert. He remembers when the car came to Norway in the 80's, and it was allready in poor condition back then. So if this is an amateur conversion, it must have been done in the 60's or 70's.

I don't mind if it is an amateur conversion, anyway it's still a very nice car.

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Big Iron

Okay, it was more like as I exspected... But why does it say Eldorado in the title and registration papers?

It is likely to be an amateur custom-car, but it's well done in my eyes.

I recieved a mail from this local punk-rock-group a year ago, they wanted to borrow one of my cars to make this musicvideo.
Found this musicvideo on youtube. I don't like the music, but after all, my Cadillac is in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efi8jtBhx2k

This is when i still had the winter-tyres on, that's why the moon-hubcaps.

No, I have not advertised the car for sale, but they may look like some photos that I took some years ago. But I do not think that I have distributed them in any way.
If you'd like some more pic's of something of this car, just let me know!