News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac wheel color

Started by Ned Wright #14842, July 14, 2007, 11:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Wright #14842

Does anyone have the correct paint or powder coat formula for the Vincennes red.  My paint coat is 27, French Gray upper and Seine Blue Metallic lower with Red or Blue wheels.  I have a new set of Sombrerros so the wheel stripe isn't necessary. Thank you!

Jeff Maltby 4194

My 49 fastback rims were powder coated red for $200. They came out 100% perfect. I selected a bright fire engine red not knowing what the stock color looked like back then ? Close enough for me.

Jeffo 49er chapter :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Porter

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on July 14, 2007, 12:52:36 PM
I had my 49 fastback rims powder coated red for $200. They came out 100% perfect. I simply selected a bright fire engine red not knowing what the stock color looked like back then ? Close enough for me and most others.

Jeffo 49er chapter :<)

Well Jeffo,

He asked for the correct color formula, not a dart throw at some fire engine red color.

Capt Maltby swings and he misses, sure you are happy with your fire engine red 49 wheels though. Might even be a perfect match for Vincennes red. Guess we will never know.

Capt Porter  ;D

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Powder coat I don't know any forumula, but in the past, I have used Ford engine red/orange, and it has come out very close to original. The reason that you don't find this stuff, is that years ago, every one "knew" what it was, and now, 60 years later, no one cares.  I have never seen a formula for wheel colors. Try an old established paint dealer. Or, have blended a bright red, with a touch of orange in it. That will be so close that no one will notice whether or not the 3/8" that shows is completely stock.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Ned Wright #14842

Anthony Amman #15293

I found what to me seemed a perfect match for Vincennes red in the Ditzler fleet color catalog.  The paint I used is Delstar/Delthane which is an acrylic enamel produced by Ditzler.  I just checked my shop and found a pint of it I still have, but the part number has faded from the label and is no longer legible.  I also had a quart can which did have a readable paint code label but have not found it yet, and may in fact have thrown it away.  If you look through their catalog, I'll bet you find the color that is a virtual match for what you are looking for.

Anthony

Porter

vincennes red

http://www.desserconsulting.com/48cadillac/DSC01861.JPG

Capt Maltby Vincennes Red: you be the judge.

Porter  ::)

harvey b

hello all,  i have used a gm color from 2000 and up,it is called victory red,comes on 1/2 and 1/4 ton,it is very bright red with a touch of orange.it should be available in all paint types,my self i prefer imron,it is a polyurethane enamel it is used on 18 wheelers,tough as nails.  thanks Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness