News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2 door eldorado wagons

Started by C. Landrum, July 17, 2007, 06:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Landrum

How popular were 2 door eldorado wagons?

Does anyone know the production numbers on the one pictured?

Did cadillac build them or was it someone else like meteor?

Where should I start pricing on one that is a TOTAL project??

THIS CAR WILL LIKELY BE ON EBAY IN THE COMING WEEKS!!!

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like a Hearse conversion to me.

Pity it is in such poor condition.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

C. Landrum

I haven't seen any 2 door hearses. I did see that Dean martin owned a 2 door wagon like this one. Chuck Barris customized it.

here is the link: http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm70-74.htm

there are several of the 2 door wagons on that link. none are hearses

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: C. Landrum on July 17, 2007, 07:18:08 PM
I haven't seen any 2 door hearses. I did see that Dean martin owned a 2 door wagon like this one. Chuck Barris customized it.

We have a 2 door Hearse down here in Tasmania.

It started life as a Lincoln Continental Mark IV and was one of two seized by Customs over an import impropriety and auctioned off.

They moved the rear window back and made that into the rear door opening, and it looks really nice.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Johnny F #662

I mentioned this before a short while back, so bear with me, while I make the same comment again.  It always amazes me how cars of this type eventually end up like this one.  I realize all the reasons, and they are all basically a matter of economics, its really sad that there wasn't someone to come along and rescue this car.

Porter

Quote from: C. Landrum on July 17, 2007, 06:29:01 PM
How popular were 2 door eldorado wagons?

Does anyone know the production numbers on the one pictured?

Did cadillac build them or was it someone else like meteor?

Where should I start pricing on one that is a TOTAL project??

THIS CAR WILL LIKELY BE ON EBAY IN THE COMING WEEKS!!!

Be as scarce as hen's teeth.

Obviously you are looking to pedal it on ebay to turn a profit-good luck.

Only a fool would try to restore that ride. Unless that was Dean Martin's Eldo-then it's worth a fortune at Barrett - Jackson.

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

Porter ;D

Tom Hall 7485

I like South_Paw's comparison but I think this is possibly not a Maloney car.  The roof rack is different and the gas door is a little farther aft on the derelict, not to mention the moldings and vinyl roof treatment.  I have not seen this style of landau/upper door moldings on a 1971-2 Maloney car; they are not in the 1971-2 Maloney's literature I have.  :-[  The body conversion may have been done several years after the basic Eldo was made.  If so, that would not help its value. 

By the way, South_Paw, thank you for the pictures of Paul Conte Cadillac with what we imagine is still Holy Redeemer Church and a funeral home in the background.  They brought back some memories in this household!
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Porter

Well,

My free 67 CDV isn't much better but it only has 45K and the 429 runs real strong.

Has all new brakes now and body work in progress. Of course I do all my own work.

Not a barn fresh find but a free "sat ourside it the yard" for five years find. A freebie.

Will it get factory restored ? Heck no but it will drive again, already does around the yard.

A work in progress.

LOL,

Porter  ::)

Guidematic

There is very little hope of ever putting production figures on these cars. They were built in batches as low as one by several shops. Many have since ceased doing business, and their records are long gone.

This car is only for the most ambitious of restorers. It would cost a fortune to bring it back. And it would only be worth it if say, they found that Jimmy Hoffa was transported in it on his way to being assassinated.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

homeonprunehill

07-17-07
C. Landrum, Don't become discouraged by what you see and read in the difference posts. I have seen "sicker dogs then that get well.  I for one, wish you success in which-ever decision you make,restore it or sale.  ... I think you can accomplish anything if you are willing to pay the price... Vince Lumbard   (during an interview)  If I had that vehicle,and someone offored me five hunder dollards
($500.00) I would take it .
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

Couldn't you take a look inside at what may be left of the upholstery to see if there were back seats?  If so, it was probably a station wagon.  If a flat floor and no seats originally, would indicate that it was a hearse.  Another thing would be the front seats. If they folded back so that someone could get into the back seats, this would also indicate that the car was originally a 2-door station wagon. If there was a permanent front bench seat (not being able to fold back), this would indicate that the car was probably a hearse.

If a title, possibly that might indicate something.  If no title, the value further diminishes.  Too bad it is in such sad conditiion, as it looks as if it was quite a fancy car at some time years back.

If  you consider a restoration, recommend that you also purchase a decent parts car, as you will need whatever help you can get. I do not feel that a restoratiion is impossible, but time and money spent might be better directed at a more solid Cadillac (unless you just have to have such a car).  Rare - yes.  Valuable in present condition - doubt it. 

If you plan to sell this car on Ebay, recommend that you first determine if it was a station wagon or hearse, by checking the above points.  A station wagon (if you can document it) would have more value, unless you find a hearse collector.  I would also post plenty of pictures (front, rear, floor boards, interior and exterior and engine compartment).

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Best bet is to take off wagon portion and put onto a rust free Eldo coupe. Note however location of gas filler door on left rear fender!   It must have some special fuel tank.

C. Landrum

the car is now up for sale. here is the auction number:250146399880

Anybody have any suggestions how to get the doors open?

click9

Quite the "buy-it-now" he just put on it !!!

C. Landrum

Scoff at the buy it now if you'd like. It's just a couple of hundred more than the offers I've had so far.Naturally I'd like to get the most I can out of the car!!

veesixteen

AAA (roadside assistance) can open these doors in two shakes of a lamb's tail (that's what they do for people, like me, who stupidly leave their keys inside the car).  Any car thief worth his salt can do it too !

Quote from: C. Landrum on July 23, 2007, 01:30:43 PM
the car is now up for sale. here is the auction number:250146399880

Anybody have any suggestions how to get the doors open?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

C. Landrum

Quote from: veesixteen on July 28, 2007, 07:10:14 AM
AAA (roadside assistance) can open these doors in two shakes of a lamb's tail (that's what they do for people, like me, who stupidly leave their keys inside the car).  Any car thief worth his salt can do it too !

Read a little further and you will find that it will take a little more than AAA or a car thief worth his salt. I'm not new to working on cars or unlocking them for folks who lock the keys in them. The doors aren't locked but they still will not open. Either the latch mechanism is frozen or the rods from the outside handles have become disconnected.

I MAY take the broken windshield out or I may let it go like it is!!!

Kevin Wiles

in MY opinion, it is ignorance to even think that this car could be a hearse.  And when i say ignorance i mean it in the true sense, just simply "not knowing"   think about it.  I have a 69 Cadillac Sedan Station Wagon, and everytime I go to a car show I have someone who wants to argue that it was done as a hearse conversion!!  please! gimme a break.   Take just ONE MOMENT to look at the car. mine is a 4 door HARDTOP sedan platform. To be fair, the  reasons it reminds a person of a hearse is because #1 it is such a rare sight to see a cadillac station wagon (only about 14 of these were built) that when one sees a cadillac with an extended back end on it, it has always been a hearse.  #2 when is the last time you saw a station wagon with a big black vinyl top?  very unusual, but reminescent of a hearse again.  But, in reality the car is nothing like a hearse, a hearse is made on a  much longer wheel base (commerical chassis) and has an extremely tall roofline - a completely different car!!!  this station wagon has a "sporty" (if you can call it that) slanted back end, and a "low profile" look, and the one in the ebay ad is based on an eldorado, mine is a 4 door HARDTOP sedan platform.    also the obvious thing that is has 3 rows of seats, the rear seat faces rearward ethow big is a casket?  7 or 8 ft. long?  now how's that gonna fit in the back of that car, especially with the way the back of the car angles back towards the roof.  Now, am I saying that all hearses are on commercial chassis? no, but please don't assume that when you see a cadillac station wagon, it just "must have been a hearse" Thanks, Kevin

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Kevin Wiles on August 01, 2007, 01:09:08 PM
in MY opinion, it is ignorance to even think that this car could be a hearse.  And when i say ignorance i mean it in the true sense, just simply "not knowing"   think about it.  I have a 69 Cadillac Sedan Station Wagon, and everytime I go to a car show I have someone who wants to argue that it was done as a hearse conversion!!  please! gimme a break.   Take just ONE MOMENT to look at the car. mine is a 4 door HARDTOP sedan platform. To be fair, the  reasons it reminds a person of a hearse is because #1 it is such a rare sight to see a Cadillac station wagon (only about 14 of these were built) that when one sees a Cadillac with an extended back end on it, it has always been a hearse.  #2 when is the last time you saw a station wagon with a big black vinyl top?  very unusual, but reminiscent of a hearse again.  But, in reality the car is nothing like a hearse, a hearse is made on a  much longer wheel base (commercial chassis) and has an extremely tall roofline - a completely different car!!!  this station wagon has a "sporty" (if you can call it that) slanted back end, and a "low profile" look, and the one in the eBay ad is based on an eldorado, mine is a 4 door HARDTOP sedan platform.    also the obvious thing that is has 3 rows of seats, the rear seat faces rearward et how big is a casket?  7 or 8 ft. long?  now how's that gonna fit in the back of that car, especially with the way the back of the car angles back towards the roof.  Now, am I saying that all hearses are on commercial chassis? no, but please don't assume that when you see a Cadillac station wagon, it just "must have been a hearse" Thanks, Kevin

Kevin......as Cadillac enthusiast, I feel it is our duty to instruct the less fortunate that don't know the intricacies  and nuances of the Cadillac automobile.  I knew a guy that used to car Cadillac limosines, "cemetary cars", because he said the only place he ever saw them was at a cemetary.  I had to educate him to the fact that not only funeral parlors used Cadillacs, but many heads of state and presidents of the USA saw the need to use the finest that America could produce.

Quite frankly I think Cadillac "Professional Cars" of the past are among some of the most interesting to bear the Cadillac Marquee, especially the hearses of old, with their carved side panels.  They are enough to even make Herman Munster sit up and notice.