News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'55 Power Brake Booster

Started by James Mundstock, July 18, 2007, 12:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Mundstock

I would like some feedback on a possible problem with my '55 power brake booster. I have replaced the master cylinder 4 weeks ago. Last weekend the pedal went to the floor. I pulled the drums and checked the wheel cylinders and they were dry. My reservior for the master cylinder was empty so I know air got into the master cylinder. The question is where did all the fluid go. My thought is the power brake booster is leaking and the vacuum is drawing the fluid into the intake and burning it in the combustion chamber. The brakes were power bled when the new master cylinder was put on and I had great brakes and fillled to the brim. I drove about 150 miles. I'm thinking I did not see any smoke from burning brake fluid because it was over a long distance. Is this common with these boosters?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Jim:

I assume you have a Bendix Hydrovac as that was standard in '55 for power brakes.

If you found no leaks in the sytem, then the fluid is being sucked through the vacuum
line and being burned up.  If you haven't rebuilt you Hydrovac (or had it done) that's
what you need to do.  There are some parts (including some from leather) that will
go bad with time.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

James Mundstock

Thanks, Mike. I took off the booster tonight and when I turned it over to dump the fluid out, it also came out the vacuum port. That was my suspicion all along but I wanted someone to confirm it. Billy at White Post Restirations said the same thing. Glad there are good Cadillac people out there to help.