News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

new guy with a 1940 Lasalle Cpe

Started by b.preston, July 19, 2007, 08:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b.preston

Hi, I went to look at a car that was listed for sale in our local paper today and when i arrived at the house where it was located i had to walk to the back of the property to see it. As i was inspecting the car i noticed another car sitting under a car cover. I started checking it out and found it to be a 1940 Lasalle Cpe 5027 model. The car appears to be all there and was last registered in 1967. This car is an original CA. car and is still sporting the original plates. From what i can see the car is complete right down to the hub caps and beautyrings. At the time the owner was away and i was unable to get much more info on it. I wasnt even sure if it was for sale. Jump forward a couple of hours today. I was able to track the owner down by phone and he verified that the car could be bought. He advised me that he purchased the car in the 67 and was driving it home when it overheated and he belives that he cracked the block. The car has been sitting ever since. He stated that he has an orig. NOS grill for it and a second set of bumpers for the car that would go with the it. I asked about the price and i was fairly shocked by his response. I advised him on the phone i would purchase the car and the deal was done. I will be picking it up tomorrow. I have no idea what this car is worth all i know it is worth more than i paid and beyond that i think it is a great looking car and will be a great restoration project. I think that i will be using your club for help for a very long time. I do have one question about this particular car. It has a metal sun shade over the windshield were these ad ons, ons . or did they come from the factory with them?  So far it has been a good day. Thanks for letting me share, Bob

Terry Wenger CLC # 1800

Hi Mr. Preston;

Congratulations on your purchase and I hope you join the Cadillac- LaSalle Club. We have all the knowledge you will need to restore your car and most likely members who have any parts you might need. The sunvisor on your car is not from the factory. It is an aftermarket accessory.

Terry Wenger

b.preston

Quote from: Terry Wenger CLC # 1800 on July 19, 2007, 09:48:10 PM
Hi Mr. Preston;

Congratulations on your purchase and I hope you join the Cadillac- LaSalle Club. We have all the knowledge you will need to restore your car and most likely members who have any parts you might need. The sunvisor on your car is not from the factory. It is an aftermarket accessory.

Terry Wenger

homeonprunehill

07-19-07
B. Preston, Congrats on your purchase of the 1940 La Salle 5027 automobile. Ithink if you will post the numbers on the DATA plate, (Located on the engine side of the  fire wall) A lot can be determind. Again, congrats on your purchase. BTW, I think the block can be fixed, if it does have a crack. { Use search, and look for 1737 La Salle engine}
Good Luch,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

:-\ From what I understand, overheating can cause a crack around the valve seats.   I was lucky when my engine was pulled for a rebuilding as it had no cracks.  My engine rebuilder (Shepard's Automotive of Akron, Ohio) told me that they usually find such cracks in 2 out of 3 engines.  I also talked about this same subject with Bob Cooper (Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts of CA) and he said that when he locates an engine for rebuilding finds that about 1 out of 3 do not have cracks.  Either way, the cracks can be fixed, although at that point a complete rebuilding would be in order and recommended.   Cooper's has a lot of parts that you will be needing.  They are located in California and can be reached at 818-567-4140.  At their web site you will find a catalog of many parts for your new LaSalle.

http://www.coopersvintage.com/

Another helpful source is McVey's of Merriam, KS  (913) 722-0707.  Call them for a free catalog.  Others are Kanter Auto Parts of NJ, Bill Hirsch of NJ and others.  I strongly suggest that you purchase the following book, as it shows many pictures of both 1939 and 1940 LaSalle Coupes:  "LaSalle - Cadillac's Companion Car" by Ron Van Gelderen and Matt Larson. Cost is $69.95 but well worth it, as it is full of many pictures and much information. (425 pages large size hardback).  Purchase from Cadillac-LaSalle Club, Inc., Columbus, OH 43236  (614) 478-4622.   If you don't already have one, an Owner's Manual and other manuals can be purchased on Ebay or at flea markets.

Welcome to our forum.  Feel free to ask questions as you get involved with the car and we will be glad to help!  I am presently restoring a 1939 LaSalle convertible coupe and may be able to offer some advice if needed, as our cars are fairly similar.  Others on this forum have a lot more experience than I do and will probably help you, as they did for me.

Fred Zwicker
Canfield, Ohio
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

b.preston

Quote from: homeonprunehill on July 20, 2007, 02:38:10 AM
07-19-07
B. Preston, Congrats on your purchase of the 1940 La Salle 5027 automobile. Ithink if you will post the numbers on the DATA plate, (Located on the engine side of the  fire wall) A lot can be determind. Again, congrats on your purchase. BTW, I think the block can be fixed, if it does have a crack. { Use search, and look for 1737 La Salle engine}
Good Luch,JIM

Hi Jim, Thank you for responding to my post. I will be picking the the car up Sunday and when i get it home i will get all the numbers off the car and post them. I am only going by what the owner told me about the block being cracked. I am hoping that if it is i will be able to repair it. Thank you for the help. I also plan to rejoin the club. Bob

b.preston

Quote from: Fred Zwicker #23106 on July 20, 2007, 08:54:56 AM
:-\ From what I understand, overheating can cause a crack around the valve seats.   I was lucky when my engine was pulled for a rebuilding as it had no cracks.  My engine rebuilder (Shepard's Automotive of Akron, Ohio) told me that they usually find such cracks in 2 out of 3 engines.  I also talked about this same subject with Bob Cooper (Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts of CA) and he said that when he locates an engine for rebuilding finds that about 1 out of 3 do not have cracks.  Either way, the cracks can be fixed, although at that point a complete rebuilding would be in order and recommended.   Cooper's has a lot of parts that you will be needing.  They are located in California and can be reached at 818-567-4140.  At their web site you will find a catalog of many parts for your new LaSalle.

http://www.coopersvintage.com/

Another helpful source is McVey's of Merriam, KS  (913) 722-0707.  Call them for a free catalog.  Others are Kanter Auto Parts of NJ, Bill Hirsch of NJ and others.  I strongly suggest that you purchase the following book, as it shows many pictures of both 1939 and 1940 LaSalle Coupes:  "LaSalle - Cadillac's Companion Car" by Ron Van Gelderen and Matt Larson. Cost is $69.95 but well worth it, as it is full of many pictures and much information. (425 pages large size hardback).  Purchase from Cadillac-LaSalle Club, Inc., Columbus, OH 43236  (614) 478-4622.   If you don't already have one, an Owner's Manual and other manuals can be purchased on Ebay or at flea markets.

Welcome to our forum.  Feel free to ask questions as you get involved with the car and we will be glad to help!  I am presently restoring a 1939 LaSalle convertible coupe and may be able to offer some advice if needed, as our cars are fairly similar.  Others on this forum have a lot more experience than I do and will probably help you, as they did for me.

Fred Zwicker
Canfield, Ohio

Hi Fred, Thanks for all the info and the book recommendation. I have had a few later Cadillacs in the past but nothing like this, i think it is  just such a wonderful looking car and i am looking forward to learning more about them. I live in Camarillo CA. so i am only about 30 miles or so from Coopers which will make it very convient for me to spend lots of money with out having to go very far. I will be picking up the car Sunday and i hope to get all numbers off it so i can post them and see what exactly i have. One question i noticed that this car has a fixed rear seat, was the opera seats  discontinued in 1940? Thanks Bob

b.preston

Quote from: Terry Wenger CLC # 1800 on July 19, 2007, 09:48:10 PM
Hi Mr. Preston;

Terry Wenger

Hi Terry, Thank you for the info on the sunshade, it is painted the same color as the car and appears to have the same wear and fading so i guess that it was put on not long after the car was purchased new. It looks to be made of aluminum. Thanks again Bob

buicksplus

Preston:

We have had a 40 5027 for many years.  We've driven it on lots of tours and driven it across the country twice with few problems.  These are beautiful cars with lots of capability on today's modern roads.

All the 1940 5027's have a back seat, I think the opera seats and rumble seats disappeared after 1938.

Suggest you look for a copy of coffee table book "La Salle, Cadillac's Companion Car"  by Van Gelderen and Larson.   It is a fabulous book loaded with pictures and detailed info about all the La Salle's built from 1927 to 1940.  I think you can still buy one from the CLC club.....

Enjoy that car, glad to see it will have an opportunity to get back on the road.

Bill S
Albuquerque, NM

Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

b.preston

Quote from: b.preston on July 19, 2007, 08:19:01 PM
Hi, I went to look at a car that was listed for sale in our local paper today and when i arrived at the house where it was located i had to walk to the back of the property to see it. As i was inspecting the car i noticed another car sitting under a car cover. I started checking it out and found it to be a 1940 Lasalle Cpe 5027 model. The car appears to be all there and was last registered in 1967. This car is an original CA. car and is still sporting the original plates. From what i can see the car is complete right down to the hub caps and beautyrings. At the time the owner was away and i was unable to get much more info on it. I wasnt even sure if it was for sale. Jump forward a couple of hours today. I was able to track the owner down by phone and he verified that the car could be bought. He advised me that he purchased the car in the 67 and was driving it home when it overheated and he belives that he cracked the block. The car has been sitting ever since. He stated that he has an orig. NOS grill for it and a second set of bumpers for the car that would go with the it. I asked about the price and i was fairly shocked by his response. I advised him on the phone i would purchase the car and the deal was done. I will be picking it up tomorrow. I have no idea what this car is worth all i know it is worth more than i paid and beyond that i think it is a great looking car and will be a great restoration project. I think that i will be using your club for help for a very long time. I do have one question about this particular car. It has a metal sun shade over the windshield were these ad ons, ons . or did they come from the factory with them?  So far it has been a good day. Thanks for letting me share, Bob

Hi, I thought that i would update you on the purchase of the car. I was trying to pick the car up back on the 20th when i purchased it but the owner was going to be gone and advised me i could get it on Sunday the 22nd, i agreed and left the owner a deposit. The following day the owners wife called and asked if i really was  going to buy the car i advised her thar i certainly was and i could come over right now and pay for it and pick it up. She advised that would not be necessary she just wanted to make sure because there was someone there trying to buy the car and was offering cash. She said she would advise him the car was sold. About 4 hrs later she called again and said the guy was back with another offer of an additional $1000. She told me if i wanted the car i would have to pay the additional $1000. She did not care if i had already a deposit on the car. I told her that i would pay the money and she assured me that it was a done deal and to pick up the car the following day. I got up early the next day and hooked up my trailer and gathered all my gear to go get my new car. You guessed it this time the owner called me and stated that the same guy has now offered an addtional $2000. The owner stated simply to me " i dont want to sell the car and i want to return your deposit" End of story. I want to thank everyone who got back to me with info on the car. Thanks Bob

John Fotakis #23436

Hi Bob. Don't let that bad experience put you off buying another Cadillac or La Salle. You'll find it very rewarding and you will receive a lot of help both through this site and from personal contact with other enthusiasits. Good luck, John

b.preston

Quote from: John Fotakis #23436 on July 23, 2007, 08:33:47 PM
Hi Bob. Don't let that bad experience put you off buying another Cadillac or La Salle. You'll find it very rewarding and you will receive a lot of help both through this site and from personal contact with other enthusiasits. Good luck, John

Hi John, Long story but i did end up with the car and it is now in my garage. The car appears to have lived it entire life within 50 miles of the L.A. area including where it sits now. It is a very nice car that appears to have its original paint. It was last registered in 1967 and has not been driven since. I thought it strange that i would find all these spare parts with it. (4 grills, starters, generators, orig. carb, fan blade with bracket plus many more odds and ends. It also came with an entire rear trunk lid with all the hardware which bring me to the question they are both painted green and appear to be the original paint, the trunk lid on the car has two support hinges and the other has one on the lt. side. Do you know if the 40 had the two or just the one? I do plan to rejoin CLC today. Thanks Bob

buicksplus

Congratulations Bob, your car sounds a lot like mine.  I'll bet it's "Long Key Green", the same color mine was.  It is a sort of light avocado green that was very popular in 1940 but not all that attractive today.   We repainted ours with an original two-tone blue combination.  FYI, attached is a picture of mine when it was Long Key Green.

My trunk has two supports, this is a very large trunk and its very heavy, I don't think it would be too stable with just one support.  Those supports also have internal springs that help lift that monster when you open it.

Look for rust in the lower rear quarters behind the door and the lower rear panel below the trunk lid.  Even a California car can rust in these areas, though it is not all that difficult to repair. 

Enjoy and have fun, these are wonderful cars.  It is great when one is rescued from a backyard, hopefully she will find her way back to the highway where we can all see and enjoy her.

Bill
Albuquerque, NM
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Kent Rowald CLC # 13148

All that hassle and now you are going to flip it instead of restoring it?  ??? ???  Good looking start to a restoration project though.  Hope you can find someone who appreciates how beautiful that car will be when it is done right!
1928 LaSalle Series 303
1940 LaSalle Series 5219
Region Director
Gulf Coast Region, CLC
Visit our site at www.GCRCadillacLaSalleClub.com

b.preston

Quote from: Kent Rowald CLC # 13148 on August 03, 2007, 12:15:58 AM
All that hassle and now you are going to flip it instead of restoring it?  ??? ???  Good looking start to a restoration project though.  Hope you can find someone who appreciates how beautiful that car will be when it is done right!

You hit it right on nail head, it will be a beautiful car when it is done right. It was a hassle but the other guy was going to turn it into a hot rod and i just couldnt see that being done to this wonderful car. I have other projects to attend to and i dont have the time or funds to start another one. I want to thank you at CLC for all your help. Bob

b. laughon

I guess you are certain that the e-bay buyer won't turn it into a rod?

b.preston

Quote from: b. laughon on August 25, 2007, 11:21:51 PM
I guess you are certain that the e-bay buyer won't turn it into a rod?

I did not sell the car. I had also listed one of my other projects on ebay a 1940's era sprint car. This did sell, reluctantly. But it will free  up some time and money that i can use towards the Lasalle. Thanks Bob