News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Searching for the block drains in a '62 (will I EVER get this done??)...

Started by Edward Kenny, July 21, 2007, 01:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

Are the block drains kept closed by the hexagonal bolts I see sticking out of the bottom of my engine block?? If not, then where are they and what kind of wrench is best used in order to prevent breaking them??

Thanks for everything as usual.

John Morris #23947

Yes I believe that's them. As an old Submarine Machinist Mate, the best method is to use a SIX POINT socket, not a 12 point. This gives you the most torque. But, you must be careful not to bust it off. Try turning it both in AND out gently a few times first. Then, after just barely moving,  hit it with HIGH QUALITY penetrant. A couple bucks extra a can is SO worth the expense. Then do it again, gently both in and out. Maybe even a few times. Eventually if you have the "Machinists Feel" the fitting will start moving without breaking. Busted fittings are usually due to impatience and inexperience. Anything made by man can be removed by man.   
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.