News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1942 Hydramatic Transmission Front Seal

Started by Jeff Baker CLC #23244, July 22, 2007, 10:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Baker CLC #23244

Has anyone replaced one of these seals themselves? Mine is leaking so we wanted some input on the job. Is it something that I should let a transmission shop do or can it be done at home?

Jeff Baker CLC #23244

Has anyone used those "Stop Leak" oils for the transmission? Are they any good? It would be a temporary fix, I still want to replace the front seal. Does anyone know where I can get a front seal?

PHIL WHYTE CLC No 14192

Hi Jeff, I haven't used any stop leak on a transmission, but I believe they work by re-softening the seals [they often go hard when left standing and then leak]. However I have replaced the front seal on my 54 Hydramatic and it was quite easy to do.It involves either removing the transmission or the engine though and you will also replace the seal between the flywheel and the trous cover. Best get a workshop manual , but from memory [I did this job a few years back now] it doesn't involve too much dismantling to get to the seal.
Phil

Jeff Baker CLC #23244

Thanks for the reply Phil. Working on the transmission is not the problem, removing it is. The manual says you have to remove the carpet, front seat and front floor pan to hoist it up a little to remove some bolts. There has to be another way. I was hoping someone else had removed their tranny of a similiar model and could tell me of another way. So far, no luck.