News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 wiper problems

Started by walt chomosh #23510, July 25, 2007, 08:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt chomosh #23510

My 1955 coupe auxiliary drive pulley assembly(center pulley drum)is damaged. #1.Anyone have one or knowledge as to what years will fit? Also,I see no way of tensioning cables.(1954 manual shows a slotted screw down the center of ther transmission shaft,my 55 is peened over) #2.How does one achieve proper cable tension on the 55s? Finally,I'd like to replace the cables.#3. What is the proper lengths of the cables?....thanks...walt #23510

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: walt #23510 on July 25, 2007, 08:10:42 PM
   My 1955 coupe auxiliary drive pulley assembly(center pulley drum)is damaged. #1.Anyone have one or knowledge as to what years will fit? Also,I see no way of tensioning cables.(1954 manual shows a slotted screw down the center of ther transmission shaft,my 55 is peened over) #2.How does one achieve proper cable tension on the 55s? Finally,I'd like to replace the cables.#3. What is the proper lengths of the cables?....thanks...walt #23510
It seems that each year has it's own part number. You will have to look for a 1955 pulley.
Tension of the cables: you simply have to remove the wiper arms and push on the end of the transmission shafts. It works that way on 1956 cars (I have 2 of them) and it did work on the 1955 convertible of a friend.
The cables are not available separately. They are part of the wiper transmission. I may have a pair of those for 1955, NOS. I bought them as 1956, but they are definitively not correct for 1956 as the pulley for 1956 is of a larger diameter. If interested, I could have a look at them and give you all the details I can get.
However, if you can get the proper tension of the cables, you won't need them!

Good luck,

Roger
(Switzerland)
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

walt chomosh #23510

Roger,
  If the cables are handy,I could use the measurement of the overall length of each. one of my cables was found to have been shortened,and another is damanged....walt

PHIL WHYTE CLC No 14192

Just a quick note to say that 54 wiper cables are tensioned in the same way ie. by pushing down on the end of the transmission shafts. Also the cables have different coloured ends on them to denote which slot they go in on the pulley.
Phil