News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975 Coupe Deville Rare Options

Started by click9, July 26, 2007, 03:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

click9

Hello, I am a new member (waiting on number assignement).  I have a Jennifer Blue 1975 Coupe Deville w/ Cabriolet roof, equipped with the air cushion restraint system and a steel sun roof.  I am trying to get some idea of the production numbers of a vehicle equipped such as this.  Does anyone know the approx. number of Coupe Devilles were equipped with Air Bags?  

Thanks,
Chris

Tom Hall 7485

Unfortunately, GM has not released specific records on option production and cannot or will not provide their authentication packets for cars 1971-present. 

We discussed the sun roof option three or four weeks ago in regard to a 1970 Eldorado.  I expect that by 1975 ASC's production capacity had increased, but I don't imagine they made more than about 700 Cadillacs with the steel sun roof (maybe two per day).  They had to work on many other brands of cars at the same time.  It's not clear to me that ASC installed sun roofs and Asto roofs all through the year.

I began a summertime job as a car porter in a Cadillac dealership in May 1975.  I think I saw about three air cushion restraint systems on new cars that summer.  We were selling about 75-80 new Cadillacs a month at that time.  I was not a new car porter, but I did drive quite a few new cars.  The air bag system was unpopular. :P  I don't think we ever ordered it for inventory - only when there was an order from a customer. 

Jennifer Blue was very popular for De Villes sold at the dealership where I worked. 

Since I am writing the authenticity manual for this class of cars, I would appreciate the chance to correspond with you by e-mail.  If you have a chance, please contact me at chromebumpers@netzero.net.

(Regarding that conversation about the 1980s Eldorado on another part of the message boards, I agree with you that "A" on a wire wheel suggests "Appliance" brand.  I remember hearing that name when I worked at Fields Cadillac in the 1970s.)
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

click9

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info.  I wonder why Cadillac won't release the information.  Other car manufactures have released it.  I know a man who has a 1975 Buick Electra with Air Bags, and he got a list from Buick that shows the percentage of vehicles that had each available option.  Wonder if volunteers could offer to go through the records (may have already be suggested and asked of them previously).

I have estimated that maybe a number as small a 10 were equipped such as mine.  My vehicle was a special order as well.

I have contacted you off line as well.

Chris

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Your point on research was discussed while at the GM collection at the Mid-Winter Board meeting. Curator Greg Wallace stated that no requests for special information are desired, nor will permission for research be given. Since he was speaking for the entire GM museum, I am wondering how the Buick division separated that info.
This trivia that is so important to us is totally irrevelant to the car business. History is important to GM only when they can make a buck on it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

click9

I am sure they could AND would make a buck if they would just make the information available.  

I would GLADLY pay for this information, and as-a-matter-of-fact have paid for it from another manufacturer.  Mercedes Benz with authenticate you vehicle for $80 I think it was.  It comes on official letterhead, etc.

Wonder if Cadillac of Canada is able to be more accommodating?  

Stampie

Seems like all of those percentages could be gathered from the sales data book.

Stampie

PS - Or just make up number like most sellers do.
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

click9

Quote from: Michael Stamps on July 28, 2007, 09:38:56 PM
Seems like all of those percentages could be gathered from the sales data book.

Stampie

PS - Or just make up number like most sellers do.

Ain't that the truth...especially on eBay !!!!  Why did you know they made a 1974 Eldorado Convertible with a Brougham Edition.  Just saw it on eBay so it MUST be true.   ;D

Guidematic

Quote from: click9 on July 28, 2007, 09:30:51 PM
I am sure they could AND would make a buck if they would just make the information available.  

I would GLADLY pay for this information, and as-a-matter-of-fact have paid for it from another manufacturer.  Mercedes Benz with authenticate you vehicle for $80 I think it was.  It comes on official letterhead, etc.

Wonder if Cadillac of Canada is able to be more accommodating?  

I doubt that GMoC would be any more accomodating since all Cadillacs sold in Canada were US built and imported. This would require that same body to supply the build information you request.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

click9

I didn't think they might be, but was worth a try  ;D

Chris Searls