News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A CTC is coming!! Cadillac's Future Product Plans Through 2011

Started by Qaanik, July 31, 2007, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qaanik

Hi All!

I am personally excited that Cadillac most likely will produce a CTC: a coupe version of the CTS!!!
As a single guy, I have no need for a Sedan, and have been desiring a new coupe to join my other 2 Coupe DeVilles!  ;D

Just found today on AutoWeek.com:

FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS
CTS restyled, re-engineered
STS refreshened

CTS-V restyled, re-engineered
CTS wagon possible
XLR refreshening
BRX crossover likely

CTS coupe expected
CTS sedan refreshening likely

Small rwd sedan likely
Large rwd sedan possible
Rwd flagship sedan or coupe possible
SRX re-engineering, restyling possible
1959 Coupe DeVille
1972 Coupe DeVille

Rich S

It's about time! Cadillac's line-up has been sorely missing a two-door model with a back seat. It is amazing that they have abandoned all the loyal Eldorado buyers--expecting them to gladly purchase sedan models. When the CTS Coupe (CTC) was previewed on Sixty Minutes several months ago (but under a cover), it looked really high-style, in the great Cadillac tradition. Let's hope it really is quite stylish, with lots of traditional Cadillac styling ques!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Johnny F #662

I wouldn't be too sure if Cadillac will bring a 2 door coupe any time soon.  Cadillac like any other manufacturing business only wants to produce products they can sell.  I believe the reason Cadillac stopped produciing, first the Coupe deVilles, then the Eldorados was due to lack of demand.  The demographics showed that the average Cadillac buyer was older, and wanted the convience of a 4 door vehicle.  Added to this was the growing  popularity of the Cadillac Escalade, which I believe is attracting a lot of younger buyers.

Guidematic

That's right. The demand for large 2-door coupes has pretty much dried up. Look at all the other manufacturers that have done the same. The only one that soldiers on is the Monte Carlo, and it's numbers are small. NASCAR has also recently replaced the Monte Carlo with the Impala, which to me, signifies the demise of the MC.

There is, however, a market for smaller 2 door coupes. The CTS should be able to incorporate one in its' lineup and sell enough to make the venture profitable.

We will never likely see any large coupes again. At one time the Coupe deVille was Cadillac's biggest seller, as were coupes from all manufacturers. The Personal luxury market was the big profit maker in the 70's, just as the SUV market is today.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Mike Jones on August 01, 2007, 09:13:21 AM

There is, however, a market for smaller 2 door coupes. The CTS should be able to incorporate one in its' lineup and sell enough to make the venture profitable.

We will never likely see any large coupes again. At one time the Coupe deVille was Cadillac's biggest seller, as were coupes from all manufacturers. The Personal luxury market was the big profit maker in the 70's, just as the SUV market is today.

Mike

If Cadillac is to be successful marketing a 2 door couple at the present time, I would think it would be with the entry level model such as the CTS, or ironically enough at the top level with the

XLR  models.  The CTS would appeal to the younger consumer, because of its price, and the SRX to the more affluent buyer for its sportiness and performance.

Rich S

Johnny F, I think you are referring to the XLR, rather than the SRX. Although I am not fond of the alpha-numeric nomenclature, apparently the Cadillac product planners believe that is the way to go in an effort to enhance the International appeal of new Cadillacs. The SRX is the mid-sized wagon-like sport utility vehicle. The XLR is the "Art & Science" design themed two-seat sports car based on the Corvette chassis with a retractable hardtop. I do not intend in any way to be critical, as I always enjoy reading your comments, and I think you meant what I have explained but not what you typed.

:)As a Cadillac enthusiast, for both the old and newer models, my initial point was that I am glad that a Coupe model is returning that will have a back seat. The next generation CTS (2008 model about to be released) is some 2 or 3 inches wider, and 3 to 4 inches longer, than the first generation CTS introduced in 2002 as a 2003 model. Therefore, even a Coupe model will have a decent amount of interior space. The overall Cadillac product plans call for the CTS to move slightly upscale, becoming a mid-level model in the line-up, with a new model (the B-Series, as sold now only in Europe as the BLS) being currently designed for introduction in a few years, as the "entry level" Cadillac, and this time it will also be sold in North America. The BLS marketed now outside the U.S. is based on a small model of Saab, basically rebadged, and with some tweaking of the styling. It is failing miserably in the European marketplace--but that alone is another discussion. The product plans announced also indicate that the DTS and STS will be replaced with one full-sized model, as of yet unnamed. This should be around late 2009 or early 2010.

It will be great if someone like Coachbuilders Limited does a Convertible conversion on the new CTC (the CTS Coupe). I also have hopes for some tasteful aftermarket trim items from Vogue accessories--with a retro edition modeled after the great Eldorados? There are lots of possibilities! ;)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Rich S on August 01, 2007, 08:10:05 PM
Johnny F, I think you are referring to the XLR, rather than the SRX. Although I am not fond of the alpha-numeric nomenclature, apparently the Cadillac product planners believe that is the way to go in an effort to enhance the International appeal of new Cadillacs. The SRX is the mid-sized wagon-like sport utility vehicle. The XLR is the "Art & Science" design themed two-seat sports car based on the Corvette chassis with a retractable hardtop. I do not intend in any way to be critical, as I always enjoy reading your comments, and I think you meant what I have explained but not what you typed.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.  I still can't get used to the alphabet soup designations of Cadillacs.  It's it amusing that GM thinks it's a good idea to use alpha-numeric names on only Cadillacs, and except for the Pontiac G-6, not on the rest of their products.  Personally, I prefer telling people I drive a Chevy Silverado, then a Cadillac (fill in the blank)!  Funny how they think its a great idea bringing back all the old Chevy names, but not the Cadillacs.

Art Director

I had the pleasure of meeting Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor at the 2006 CLC Grand National in Orange, Calif. During my short visit with him, he learned that I own a 2001 Eldorado. I asked him point blank if Cadillac will ever bring the Eldo back. All he did was smile.  :)
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

The biggest problem with the car makers is all the "Re-Badging" that is going on.

Cadillac did it with the Opel re-bagded as the Cimmaron, and people down here know just how BAD the Holden Camira (re-badged Opel/Cimmaron) fared down under.   It was a flop, and most soon disappeared from the scene as they either rusted away, or simply stopped.

I too detest the Alphabet Soup naming of cars, especially the way Cadillac did it to get away from the deVille and Eldorado line of vehicles.

It is hard enough deciphering the series of numbers and letters plastered across the boors (trunks) of cars as they try to tell the world that the engine is a Dual Overhead Cam, with 24 Valves and 4 cylinders, with Variable Valve Timing with Fuel Injection, and Turbo Charger.   Oh, nearly forgot the 4 wheel drive. (DOHC 24V 4 VVTI Turbo 4WD) and to show the people to stay back, they also state that the car is fitted with ABS and lastly, Automatic, so that the car behind knows that it won't roll backwards as it takes off up a hill at the traffic lights.   There hardly seems enough room to put the model and makers name across the back, as if that wasn't there, one would never be able to figure out what it was, as these days, they all look the same.

When I look at my past '60 Coupe deVille, I see that the word Cadillac is only written on the little plaque on the trunk lid, and the Dash Board, and the Model, Coupe deVille on both sides of the rear quarter, in lovely script, and the Cadillac Crest on the Hub Caps, Horn Button, and the Crest and Gold "V"'s on the Hood and Trunk.   When the Hood is opened, there on the Rocker Covers, proudly stamped in relief is the word CADILLAC.   Not a Chevrolet, Buick, or other brand anywhere to be seen.   It looks like a Cadillac as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Johnny F #662

Quote from: The Tassie Deville) on August 09, 2007, 11:11:17 PM

When I look at my past '60 Coupe deVille, I see that the word Cadillac is only written on the little plaque on the trunk lid, and the Dash Board, and the Model, Coupe deVille on both sides of the rear quarter, in lovely script, and the Cadillac Crest on the Hub Caps, Horn Button, and the Crest and Gold "V"'s on the Hood and Trunk.   When the Hood is opened, there on the Rocker Covers, proudly stamped in relief is the word CADILLAC.   Not a Chevrolet, Buick, or other brand anywhere to be seen.   It looks like a Cadillac as well.

Bruce. >:D

Bruce,

You bring up an interesting point, how manufacturers badge their cars.  Is it just me, or does it appear that the manufacturers are making it harder to identify their products with badges?  Take a look at the new Buick Enclave, its just about stripped of all identification, save for the Buick shields.

Qaanik

Hi all!

Just some general musings....

re: the Coupe market- I know I am immensely biased b/c I desperately would like to be able to buy a new affordable Cadillac Coupe, but BMW is planning a new series of entry-level cars (the 1 series) and they must feel there's enough market to build a coupe version of the 1 series. So, I feel Cadillac shouldn't cede the entire entry-level luxury coupe market to BMW.

re: badging- Perhaps the manufacturers are trying to appeal to the youth market? As the former owner of a Pontiac Solstice and also an owner of a Pontiac G6 Coupe and a member of those forums which is made up of members in their 20's (a lot younger than I am!),  there's a lot of discussion amongst them about removing the precious few badges that do exist on the cars in the interest of making them "clean". I wouldn't dream of removing any of my car's badges, although I am sorely tempted to remove the GM chiclet badge on my Pontiac b/c it always rips up my drying towels.

re: Bruce- so good to have you posting more frequently! You got me thinking about the badging on my '59 Coupe...the word "Cadillac" appears only in four places that I know of: 2 publicly visible: hubcaps, on the dash to the left as an option delete blank filler, and 2 only when hood is raised: the cowl tag, and the blue rocker covers in the engine compartment.

re: Alphabet Soup- I'm hoping, too, this fad will die out...there's only so many marketable combinations left before they've used them up. The return of words in script form will be a welcome return. But, heck! I'll take a CTC!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
1959 Coupe DeVille
1972 Coupe DeVille

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Qaanik on August 10, 2007, 12:10:55 PM

re: Alphabet Soup- I'm hoping, too, this fad will die out...there's only so many marketable combinations left before they've used them up. The return of words in script form will be a welcome return. But, heck! I'll take a CTC!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the combinations to run out.  Using three letters there are 17,576 combinations!  How many are marketable is up for conjecture, but I really don't see that many combinations that wouldn't be marketable.