News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 SERIES 62 VIN PLATE LOCATION?

Started by MCGINTY2383, August 03, 2007, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCGINTY2383

IM IN THE PROCESS OF PURCHASING A 56 SERIES 62 COUPE BUT AM A LITTLE HESITANT.  I CANT LOCATE THE VIN TAG ANYWHERE.  I NEED HELP.  I LOOKED ALL OVER THE DRIVERS DOOR JAMB AREA AND FIND NOTHING NO SCREW HOLES, NO RIVIT HOLES NO NOTHING!  I ALSO LOOKED ON THE DASH THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD AND SEE NOTHING OR REMNENTS OF ANYTHING MISSING NO EVIDENCE ANYWHERE.  THE CAR HAS A CLEAN OHIO TITLE AND WAS TRANSFERED FROM A NEW YORK TITLE 8 YEARS AGO.  THE OWNER HAS NO CLUE.  IT IS OBVIOUSLY SOMEWHERE AS IT PASSED AN OUT OF STATE INSPECTION.  THE ONLY THING I SEE IS A BLUE PLASTIC TAG THAT WAS LIKE 1/2 INCH BY 2 1/2 INCHES LONG WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE SOME RANDOM NUMBERS THAT DONT MATCH THE TITLE.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME KNOW WHERE TO LOOK OR SEND ME A PICTURE OF WHAT IM LOOKING FOR?  THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!

veesixteen

Raise the hood.  Look at the top of the firewall, driver's side, near the windshield.  There SHOULD be an aluminum plate riveted there, around 4x2" that will give you basic info about body number and style, paint code, trim code etc.  Of course it could be MISSING.

In that case you still have the engine/chasis number embossed on the LH frame member, near the front cross-member (sometimes not easy to see - you may need a stiff-bristle brush and some cleaning solvent ... watch the paintwork with that solvent !)

Quote from: MCGINTY2383 on August 03, 2007, 10:32:37 PM
IM IN THE PROCESS OF PURCHASING A 56 SERIES 62 COUPE BUT AM A LITTLE HESITANT.  I CANT LOCATE THE VIN TAG ANYWHERE.  I NEED HELP.  I LOOKED ALL OVER THE DRIVERS DOOR JAMB AREA AND FIND NOTHING NO SCREW HOLES, NO RIVIT HOLES NO NOTHING!  I ALSO LOOKED ON THE DASH THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD AND SEE NOTHING OR REMNENTS OF ANYTHING MISSING NO EVIDENCE ANYWHERE.  THE CAR HAS A CLEAN OHIO TITLE AND WAS TRANSFERED FROM A NEW YORK TITLE 8 YEARS AGO.  THE OWNER HAS NO CLUE.  IT IS OBVIOUSLY SOMEWHERE AS IT PASSED AN OUT OF STATE INSPECTION.  THE ONLY THING I SEE IS A BLUE PLASTIC TAG THAT WAS LIKE 1/2 INCH BY 2 1/2 INCHES LONG WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE SOME RANDOM NUMBERS THAT DONT MATCH THE TITLE.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME KNOW WHERE TO LOOK OR SEND ME A PICTURE OF WHAT IM LOOKING FOR?  THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

John Morris #23947

Oddly enough, the vin number on a 56 was a small plastic tag on the driver side door jabb, close to the striker. Here's a picture of a 58. The bottom line says engine number, that is also the vin number.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

George 23923

Car serial number and engine unit number are located on a plate attached to the left front door pillar post.
Engine ID is on a pad, [machined] at the front top edge of the right hand block. Should be visible easily with the hood open.
Engine ID number should have 9 digits. first 2 are model year. third and fourth are the series ID and the rest are the car serial number.