News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bad noice

Started by Soren Johnson, August 04, 2007, 06:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soren Johnson

I have a Deville -91, 4.9 l.
Yesterday I started to hear at noice from the engine.
I found out that i came from the "thing" in front of the generator.
What could the problem be?
Soren Johnson, Sweden

homeonprunehill

08-04-07
Soren, The item in the  picture you posted is a "Belt Tenioner" and they can go bad. I once owened an '86 4.1 that the "tenioner went bad because the belt had a "lable" on it,After th dealer replaced the belt and tenioner, no more problem.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

TJ Hopland

The silver thing in the center of  your picture is the tensioner/iddler arm.  They are fairly common to go bad.  Most parts stores stock them for common cars.  Most of the time you just replace the pulley and the bearings so its not that expensive and not a cadillac only part like the whole arm would be.   The thing on the left of the picture is alternator.  Right is the power steering pump.  Power steering pumps can make a whine type of noise.  My 95 with the 4.9 had a inline filter for the power steering that was plugged and causing my steering problems and noise.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Johnny F #662

Quote from: homeonprunehill on August 05, 2007, 02:56:46 AM
08-04-07
Soren, The item in the  picture you posted is a "Belt Tenioner" and they can go bad. I once owened an '86 4.1 that the "tenioner went bad because the belt had a "lable" on it,After th dealer replaced the belt and tenioner, no more problem.
Good Luck,JIM

What is a "Belt Tenioner" and what does it do?

TJ Hopland

On older engines there was usually one device (like the alternator on most GM's) for each belt that was mounted in slots so you could adjust the tension for the belt and would allow the slack needed to change a belt.  When they started going with a single serpertine (flat) belt I assume they discoverd that the longer belt would strech more over its life so they decided just putting a pulley on a spring loaded arm to put tension on the belt was the best solution.  Many of them have a little scale on the arm that is supposed to indicate how much the belt has streched.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Guidematic

Actually, these belts stretch very little. They are constructed very much like a timing belt. The main reason for the tensioner is to maintain a set tension on the belt so that it can operate the accessories without slippage, or worry of some ham fisted amateur overtigthening the belts and tearing out a bearing.

These belts last for a very long time compared to the old V-belts. Part of the reason is the tensioner doing its' job.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69