News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67 deville hard shifting trans

Started by Peter Nieuwlandt, August 05, 2007, 06:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Nieuwlandt

a good friend of mine asked me about his 67 DeVille's trans wich has a hard time swifting gears.
My idea was to have a look at the modulator but does anyone have more info and experience with the Turbo hydramatic of thisvintage??My cars have all the old Hydramatic so maybe I'm missing something in diagnosing his transmission

Peter
Peter Nieuwlandt
CLC 17863

George 23923

If all the shifts are faulty, the modulator is a good bet.
It can be tested without a lot of trouble.
Check the vaccuum line first. Make sure it has no breaks kinks or blockage.
The modulator on this year Cad is on the right front of the casing, and the line can be disconnected from here.
The vaccuum can be tested at the end of the line using a good vaccuum gauge the reading should be I think 17-20 inches of vaccuum at the end of the line. Check the shop manual for the correct reading.
A blip of the throttle should cause a sudden drop, then return to normal. this should occur fairly quickly.
If you can get a vaccuum hand pump, connect it to the port on the module, pump the required amount of vaccuum [ same as at the end of the line above] the modulator should hold vaccuum for at least 30-60 seconds. If not it's US.
If these tests are OK the trouble obviously lies elswhere.