News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 SDV 425 4V PCV Crankcase Breather

Started by Joel Den Haan, August 07, 2007, 06:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Den Haan

Hi everyone-
My 78 SDV with 105,000KM Canadian has a PCV crank case breather that I don't think has ever been changed or cleaned (I've replaced the PCV valve).  In the shop manual it's GM part number 1498445- a six-inch long metal box with two ports and some oil-soaked fiber on the inside.  I suspect this dirty breather isn't helping keep my carb clean and may be adding to oil usage, although oil consumption of a liter in a 5000-km change is not bad.  Can I get this part new, or how do I clean the old one?  By the way, RockAuto.com says they carry the part but it's the wrong one for my engine- more suitable according to the picture for a 307 Olds.

I'd appreciate help.
Joel Den Haan#21586

TJ Hopland

Current AC Delco part number is FB69

It was used on all the cadillac motors in the 70's except the Seville's Olds like you found which was a round thing with a tube.

Any GM dealer should be able to order it for you or you can get it online.
http://198.208.187.182/internet/VehiclePartDescription.jsp?selectedfld=&application=Car%2FLight+Duty+Truck&year=1978&make=CADILLAC&model=DEVILLE&engine=V8+7.0L+425cid+GAS+CARB+N+Engine+VIN+%3D+S++++++&productline=19&part=4932
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Joel Den Haan

Quote from: TJ H on August 07, 2007, 10:40:06 PM
Current AC Delco part number is FB69

It was used on all the cadillac motors in the 70's except the Seville's Olds like you found which was a round thing with a tube.

Any GM dealer should be able to order it for you or you can get it online.
http://198.208.187.182/internet/VehiclePartDescription.jsp?selectedfld=&application=Car%2FLight+Duty+Truck&year=1978&make=CADILLAC&model=DEVILLE&engine=V8+7.0L+425cid+GAS+CARB+N+Engine+VIN+%3D+S++++++&productline=19&part=4932

Thanks TJ H- Looked on the AC Delco website and the picture of FB69 is exactly what I need.  Will head into Calgary today to check with a dealer.

Best regards,
Joel Den Haan #21586

Thanks TJH- looked on the AC Delco website and the item is exactly what I'm looking for.  Will head into Calgary today to check with a Caddy dealer.

Best regards,
Joel Den Haan #21586

FJP

Hopefully I am not asking a really dumb question, but does that breather "box" open up and have a replaceable element inside?  Parts stores here list a "breather element" for my 74 FB which is a piece of some sort of white material which doesn't seem to go anywhere else so is it intended to go inside that box, kind of rolled up?
FRANK PERCH CLC #14098
Philadelphia, PA
'80 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe

Joel Den Haan

Not a dumb question at all- this is the same part I found at Auto Value- but AC  Delco makes the actual breather assembly as noted by TJ H above, and I ordered it from an area Cadillac dealer, so rather than messing with an oily box that doesn't seem to open, I just ordered the new one.....

Joel Den Haan. #21586

Quote from: FJP on August 13, 2007, 12:20:28 AM
Hopefully I am not asking a really dumb question, but does that breather "box" open up and have a replaceable element inside?  Parts stores here list a "breather element" for my 74 FB which is a piece of some sort of white material which doesn't seem to go anywhere else so is it intended to go inside that box, kind of rolled up?

TJ Hopland

The ones I have seen that have the 'replacable' element are for chevy/buick/pontiac motors where there is a tube that runs from the valve cover to the air cleaner then there is a little holder thing inside the air cleaner housing. They are kind of the shape of a house if you looked at it from the front, a rectangle with a triangle on the top.  I remember housings that had a clip of some sort to hold the element.  Fram seems to make the whole assembly that has a staple that holds the element in the housing.  All the cadillac ones I have ever seen have been the metal can type where the edges seem to be rolled together like a tin can.  I have seen a few plastic ones that must have been some sort of aftermarket brand but those didnt appear to open up either and the elements I have seen listed were not the right size.  It would seem odd that they would list that chev/buick/pontiac for the cads since it was not till 90 that there was a chev motor in the broughams.   Buick V6's were an option in 80-82?.  The only pontiac would have been the 4 cyl in the cimmaron.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

EAM-CLC 17806

Quote from: FJP on August 13, 2007, 12:20:28 AM

FJP:  That breather element is one solid metal piece and I know they are the same from 1975 to 1978 and maybe for 1974 too.  You would have to replace the whole piece because the filter element alone cannot be removed when and if it ever gets clogged.  They shouldn't be hard to find.  EAM.

Benzilla

These metal breather boxes are getting really hard to find, just like every other part for our forgotten classics. A friend of mine told me they could be removed & cleaned with either gasoline or a penetrating oil like power blaster. I can't remember which one it was. I'm going to try that, as six years later I can't find one to save my life! At least not at a somewhat reasonable price.

I'd think if it can withstand oil for all those years, it would be fine to soak it in gas for a while until it runs clear. It would also be a nice finishing touch to repaint it in the original GM corporate blue when you're done :) All the ones I've seen for sale are just black anyway, so either way you'd want to paint it. Dupli-color makes the correct shade in their engine paint line.

TJ Hopland

If I had one of those I think I would try and soak in some sort of a detergent cleaner.   Parts and hardware stores all sell a purple degreaser and I have used it on just about every car part and its worked well for me.  Since I started using that stuff I have not bothered to use or maintain my solvent parts washer.  I think good old lye is one of the main ingredients so it can be a little hard on the skin. 

Even a strong mix of dish washing soap may do the trick.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

R Schroeder

I just sprayed mine out today with Gum Out carb cleaner.
Broke the oil down , and out it came.

There are two on Ebay for 75 bucks each...........ha
Cleaner is cheaper.

Roy

EAM 17806

Cleaning this breather with GUM-OUT carb cleaner is a good way to clean out the oil residue that is on the filter element. There isn't any need at all to buy a new breather. WIth this part the only time you would buy a new one is if it somehow got damaged or lost. I've been cleaning my 76 de Ville crankcase breather since 1977 and it's still in perfect shape and filters perfectly.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

waterzap

I might have a couple of these for sale. Will put them on the For Sale side once I find them and dig them out.
Leesburg, AL

waterzap

Found a few. Put them on the for sale part. I know $40 is a bit expensive, but that is still half the price of the ones on ebay, and they are definitely rare. I did see looking inside that the filter element looks to be more dense than the old ones. I guess over the years the filter parts expand a bit. Probably not bad. Just different
Leesburg, AL

cadillacmike68

I just soak mine in either gasoline, lacquer thinner or parts cleaner (all similar, gas is the cheapest!!!),  Never had a problem.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike