News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'71 Eldo Lower Transmission Pan

Started by Rich S, August 08, 2007, 10:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich S

Following many visits to several mechanics for a red fluid leak from my 49,000 mile 1971 Eldorado Convertible, and first replacing the power steering lines, the conclusion is that I should next replace my lower transmission pan (it is dented and has a bent corner) and at that time it will be resealed. I have been asked to locate the part. Does anyone have experience with something similar, or have a recommendation of where to obtain one?

While there, I had my air conditioner looked at (disconnected since I got the car in October 2004 from the original owner). It was requested that I obtain another (functioning) HVAC programmer. Any recommendations? We had not decided whether to convert to 134, but what I really am interested in is just getting the flow-through ventilation operating, as I usually open windows or put the top down. 

It was actually difficult to find a mechanic willing to tackle working on this car--most said it would be a time-consuming job and there could be no guarantees, parts would be difficult to locate, etc. When I found one who seems promising, I asked him also about the air conditioning. Thank you for any suggestions or advice you may share. :)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

TJ Hopland

This is the only new pan made that I know of, other options are used or search the world for NOS.

http://www.yourcovers.com/tp_7873.shtml

Im not sure if there is more than one company that makes these.  You find them on sites that deal with the GMC motorhomes that used the Toronado drivetrain.  If you search for GM/GMC motorhomes you should be able to locate several dealers.  There is also a cover for the final drive.

As far as the heat/ac, I dont have the ac in my 73 and my system doesnt work right.  If I set it on vent and 60*(all the way down) it doesnt seem to blow hot air or make clicking sounds all the time so thats how I run it 99% of the time.  If I need heat I crank it to 85 and turn the lever to low for low or hi for hi.  I only use the heat in the spring and fall. I store the car in the winter.   If your fan/blower is not running except on defrost it may be the temp sensor on the front corner of the right head behind the alternator.   That sensor grounds when the motor gets warn and signals the heater fan to start.  I have a shop manual and 3 parts cars but its just never been much of a priority since 90% of the time the top is down.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Rich S

Thanks for the information! I'm ordering a new lower tranny pan from them. I sure hope it will solve my leakage problem. I'll keep looking for a HVAC Programmer, and I'll report back (eventually) when I have the work on either job completed.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Lars Kneller 8246

Keep in mind these cars can also leak from the rear cover that covers the big metal band that drives the transmission.  My 68 Eldo has a small leak from there, and I've decided it is too major of a job to try to replace the gasket for the little it leaks. It is easy to do with the trans out of the car.