News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for .......

Started by Doug Smith, August 13, 2007, 12:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Smith

I have a 1961 Cadi and someone along the line before I bought it changed out the radiator reserve tank to one that is plastic and reads "MADE IN TAIWAN".  I'm guessing this one is not the original one and was wondering where I may be able to find something like this. I do know of EBAY and McVIE's but was looking for some other ideas.
D. Smith

35-709

Those cars never had an overflow tank, plastic or otherwise, just an overflow hose from the radiator directing any radiator overflow from a too full radiator, or boil over, onto the ground.  I would keep what you have unless you are looking to make the car "original" which would mean just the hose draining to the ground.  You could look around at various later model cars (or eBay) that have an overflow tank to see if there is one that might be adapted that would look more "factory" and not say Taiwan on it.  I used a later model Cadillac ('74 I think) tank, or bottle, from eBay on my '72 Chevy pickup; a little tweaking of the attach. bracket and it looks almost like it belongs there.

Someone else can maybe tell you what year they started using overflow (or reserve) tanks, but i don't believe it was until the late 60's or early 70's
:)

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Doug Smith

Hey Geoff, Thanks for the great info I appreciate it. I think I will go back to the original way and take out the after market plastic reserve  tank.
D. Smith

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Doug,

Once your radiator has expelled the excess cooling fluid and settled to the correct level, you will then simply have to look at the level when cold, and then retain it at just a fraction lower, and you will never lose any out the overflow pipe.

The Manuals always say to keep the coolant level 1" below the cap.   This allows for expansion when it gets hot.

It always amuses me when people complain about a leaking cooling system, only to find out that they keep on filling the radiator to the top.

Modern cars with Recovery Systems have the Radiator full, but they use the recovery or reservoir bottle as the level control.   Plus, the modern cooling systems run such high pressures and temperatures are critical for the computer sensors, that it is easier to observe the level through the plastic reservoir.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Well there you go, Bruce posted that as I was typing this ......

Don't forget, you won't be able to fill your radiator completely full without that tank!  You will have to leave it down an inch or two in the radiator's top tank to allow for expansion as the coolant gets hot.  You may get some coolant out of the overflow tube when the car is at operating temperature until it gets down to the level it likes, especially when you shut the car off.  You are likely to get worried people telling you frantically that you are loosing coolant, folks aren't used to seeing that since the advent of the overflow bottles.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Doug Smith

Love it !!  Thankx for the good info ;D
D. Smith