News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

GN Trip

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, August 13, 2007, 05:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Gay and I returned home this afternoon completing a trip of approximately 2,116 miles in our 1979 Brougham. We first traveled to Tullahoma, TN to stay overnight with Gay's younger sister. Then, set out the next morning through Chattanoga, TN and then down I-75 to Atlanta.
No problems on the well-traveled Super Slab, but I didn't look forward to another stretch on I-75 to Macon, so we took I-20 east towards Augusta for about forty miles, and picked up an older two-lane road towards Patrick, GA. Pleasantly, this turned into a divided highway with a car every mile or so. It was the "Antebellum Trail."  I-16 went close to Patrick, and we stayed there Tuesday night.
We got up early Wednesday, and got into Savannah easily, except Gay got an un-guided tour trying to find the Marriott. Found a pleasant bar-maid (aren't they all ???) who told me how to get to the hotel.
Enjoyed the meet, and took off Sunday morning up I-95. I was beat, and turned the Fleetwood over to Gay, and nearly missed SC. Got into Richmond about 5PM, and enjoyed a week with the grandkids there. On Thursday, I attended the Central VA region's meeting at a local rib joint. While you are touring, take along a S/S and your Directory and see if there are any local events you can attend. I also attended in April while we were in VA.
Started out yesterday morning at 7 AM, left VA at 11, and pulled into our "usual" Bob Evans in Southern OH at 2:45. Drove up to Marysville, KY on the "Double A" and found it the subject of increased enforcement, so we drove at 55 MPH on the dot. This morning, three semis dogged my bumper, and finally passed, ending up with tickets for all down the road.
No problems at all with the 28 year old car. It now has 157K on it. My son was aghast at our driving such and old clunker. But it doesn't downshift driving up Sandstone on I-64 as our brand-new Rendevous does (2750 feet on a 7% plus grade...) And I wouldn't be surprised if it got better mileage. I checked once, and it was slightly over 18 MPG.
Good to see old friends and new. It's good to go travellin', but there is, indeed, no place like home.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Gary McKinney

Great story.  My trip home from Savannah was a little more interesting, with a bit of car trouble ('66 Eldorado), but we made it without the assistance of mechanic or tow truck.  Sandstone mountain has been my "proving ground" for several years now.  I've lived just off I-64 near Charleston, WV for about 10 years now, but will be moving back to my "mountain" home in the northern part of the state in a couple of weeks.  When my cars will top Sandstone at 70+ MPH in high gear, I know all is well.  My Northstar-equipped Cadillac will usually shift out of overdrive, but will maintain 75 MPH all the way up in high gear.  The '66 Eldorado can climb the grade at any desired speed and stay in high gear.  Too bad there's not a gas station right at the top of the mountain. 

Gary McKinney

Gary McKinney

1950 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Cadillac Eldorado

veesixteen

Gary and Barry,

Gita and I envy your trips to and from the 2007 GN.  We have found, after more than 10 years of residency in the USA (S. Carolina) that no matter what car you are driving it's always more exciting and usually more fulfilling, scenically, to STAY OFF the interstates.  This is a GREAT country if you just take time out on the back roads. Pity we all appear to need to be rushing along !

Quote from: Gary McKinney on August 15, 2007, 08:17:18 AM
Great story.  My trip home from Savannah was a little more interesting, with a bit of car trouble ('66 Eldorado), but we made it without the assistance of mechanic or tow truck.  Sandstone mountain has been my "proving ground" for several years now.  I've lived just off I-64 near Charleston, WV for about 10 years now, but will be moving back to my "mountain" home in the northern part of the state in a couple of weeks.  When my cars will top Sandstone at 70+ MPH in high gear, I know all is well.  My Northstar-equipped Cadillac will usually shift out of overdrive, but will maintain 75 MPH all the way up in high gear.  The '66 Eldorado can climb the grade at any desired speed and stay in high gear.  Too bad there's not a gas station right at the top of the mountain. 

Gary McKinney

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

CLC#12231

I would give my version of the trip home from the GN if it weren't for the fact that a known writer accompanied us.

Frank DeCou
Frank

Johnny F #662

Quote from: veesixteen on August 15, 2007, 12:40:32 PM
Gary and Barry,

Gita and I envy your trips to and from the 2007 GN.  We have found, after more than 10 years of residency in the USA (S. Carolina) that no matter what car you are driving it's always more exciting and usually more fulfilling, scenically, to STAY OFF the interstates.  This is a GREAT country if you just take time out on the back roads. Pity we all appear to need to be rushing along !

Quote from: Gary McKinney on August 15, 2007, 08:17:18 AM

Gary McKinney

Interstates can be a blessing when travelling long distances, as they cut down on the chances of getting lost.