News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 caddy charging questions??

Started by harvey b, August 19, 2007, 08:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvey b

have a 60 series 37 caddy,have had generator rebuilt,a new voltage regulator has been installed,not the original 5 post type,but a 4 post one with an extra ground terminal,was told it would work OK.when i pull the park lights on the guage does not drop much,the car is running at fast idle.the headlites are a lot more drain,guage goes far into the discharge side,not sure how to check it? is it possible my switch is bad? maybe i have a wire on wrong some where,car has been rewired with new wire from stem to stern.we did the harness ourselves we took out a wire and replaced it with a new one,dont think we did anything wrong there.battery is new 6 volt from napa,car is positive ground.when car is running with no lights on,charge seems OK.i am at my wits end as i want to drive it after dark,i did install a sealed beam kit i found at the flea market,it was a NOS kit from the 40s,the one that had the beams and holders and headlight rings in it.when the car is running the lights are dim and battery will go down so far the car will not start ?  any help is greatly appreciated   thanks Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

Warren Rauch

Did the headlite kit come with a headlite RELAY. The sealed beams use more power that the 32-32 cp bulbs they replace. BY using a relay you will be able to make them brighter, but only if generator provides the power. Have you adjusted the regulator so the generator  output is maximum.The proper method to adjust the regulator is in your repair manual for the factory regulator. The new one should had directions with it. The first step is to use a volt meter check the volt across the battery with every thing off, engine included. Then with the engine running. If the second reading isn't higher than the first the generator isn't working at all.Warren